Calculating Boundary Layer Thickness

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the thickness of the boundary layer for a NACA 2412 airfoil and is looking for an equation to do so. They clarify that they are only using the NACA 2412 airfoil model for their experiments and the information about the Cessna 172 is irrelevant. They are specifically interested in the boundary layer thickness for a NACA 2412 airfoil with a chord length of 1.3 m and a velocity of 65 m/s at an altitude of 3000m with a kinematic viscosity of 1.8e-5.
waealu
I am trying to calculate the thickness of the boundary layer for a NACA 2412 airfoil. I am working on constructing some wind tunnel tests that simulate a Cessna 172 (NACA 2412 airfoil). I am trying to determine the thickness of the boundary layer (distance from surface to 99% of free-stream velocity). What would the boundary layer thickness be (or what is the equation) for a NACA 2412 airfoil (chord length is about 1.3 m) with a velocity of 65 m/s at 3000m MSL (kinematic viscosity is about 1.8e-5).

Preferably, I am looking for an equation that would be able to calculate this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you jump from wind tunnel tests on a particular airfoil to that of a Cessna 172?

The Cessna 172 information is irrelevant. I am using the NACA 2412 airfoil model for my experiments. I just need to determine boundary layer thickness for that.

1. What is Boundary Layer Thickness?

Boundary Layer Thickness refers to the distance from the surface of an object to the point where the flow velocity reaches 99% of the free stream velocity. It is an important parameter in fluid dynamics that helps in understanding the behavior of fluid flow near a solid surface.

2. How is Boundary Layer Thickness calculated?

Boundary Layer Thickness can be calculated using the Prandtl's boundary layer equations, which take into account the fluid properties, surface roughness, and flow conditions. It can also be estimated using empirical formulas based on experimental data.

3. What factors affect Boundary Layer Thickness?

The main factors that affect Boundary Layer Thickness include the fluid viscosity, flow velocity, surface roughness, and the shape and size of the object. These factors can influence the thickness and behavior of the boundary layer, and thus, affect the overall fluid flow around an object.

4. Why is Boundary Layer Thickness important?

Boundary Layer Thickness is important because it affects the drag force on an object, which is the resistance experienced by an object moving through a fluid. A larger boundary layer thickness results in a higher drag force, which can impact the performance and efficiency of a moving object.

5. How does Boundary Layer Thickness affect aerodynamics?

Boundary Layer Thickness plays a critical role in aerodynamics. It can affect the lift and drag forces on an object, which are crucial in determining the overall flight characteristics of an aircraft. A thicker boundary layer can increase drag and decrease lift, while a thinner boundary layer can reduce drag and increase lift.