Designing an Electric Aircraft: Testing Motor+Airfoil Configurations

In summary, a group of engineering students is designing an electric aircraft and looking to implement NASA's technology of using 14 electric motors along the wing to increase lift at lower speeds. They are concerned about the reliability of using this technology for their prototype and are considering using CFD to test different motor and airfoil configurations. However, they are unsure about the accuracy of CFD results and wonder if there is a more reliable way to predict wing performance without wind tunnel testing. One suggestion is to use CFD to find a solution that works in simulation and then test real-life prototypes, but others have cautioned that CFD can be prone to error and may only be reliable for future iterations of a design.
MaxKang
Hello, me and other engineering students at my university are designing an electric aircraft and we are hoping to implement the technology that NASA is currently working on, http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-electric-research-plane-gets-x-number-new-name
Basically how it works is you have 14 electric motors placed across the wing, which gives you twice as much lift at lower speeds by accelerating the flow more.

My question is whether or not the result of theirs will be reliable for our prototype. If we choose to pick a different airfoil, I believe there could be a big difference in performance. My friend suggested using the CFD to test different motor+airfoil configurations across the wing, but I do not think we can trust CFD results. From my understanding, CFD data is only useful if it happens to match the experimental result because, if the CFD model happened to work and it should presumably predict the performance well even when the geometry(i.e. chord length) is modified. Is there a way to predict the performance of a wing in a more reliable way, without having to do a wind tunnel testing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not work in CFD until you find a solution that works in the simulation and then try testing real life prototypes from there?

aerohead_18 said:
Why not work in CFD until you find a solution that works in the simulation and then try testing real life prototypes from there?

Because there seems to be a lot of room for error in doing CFD, in fact since we need to simulate the rotational flow due to props the result might be highly unreliable. Quite a few of the Master students at my university seemed to ignore CFD and go straight to a wind tunnel testing. Once time I heard that most times CFD is only reliable for future iterations of a given design where the CFD and experimental data have already converged to the same value

1. What is the purpose of designing an electric aircraft?

The purpose of designing an electric aircraft is to create a more environmentally-friendly and sustainable mode of air transportation. By eliminating the use of traditional fossil fuels, electric aircrafts can reduce carbon emissions and contribute to the fight against climate change.

2. How does the testing process for motor and airfoil configurations work?

The testing process for motor and airfoil configurations involves using computer simulations and physical prototypes to analyze the performance of various combinations. This includes measuring factors such as thrust, lift, drag, and efficiency to determine the most optimal design for the aircraft.

3. What are some challenges in designing an electric aircraft?

Some challenges in designing an electric aircraft include finding lightweight and efficient battery systems, developing powerful and reliable electric motors, and designing airfoils that can generate enough lift and thrust without compromising on aerodynamics.

4. How do you ensure the safety of an electric aircraft?

To ensure the safety of an electric aircraft, rigorous testing and certification processes are conducted by regulatory bodies. This includes testing for battery and motor performance, electrical system reliability, and emergency procedures in case of malfunctions. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the aircraft's electrical components are also crucial for safety.

5. What are the potential benefits of using an electric aircraft over traditional aircraft?

The potential benefits of using an electric aircraft include reduced carbon emissions, lower operating costs due to the use of cheaper electricity as fuel, quieter flight, and the ability to take off and land in shorter distances. Electric aircrafts also have fewer moving parts, making them easier to maintain and potentially more reliable than traditional aircraft.