negitron
Aug19-09, 09:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...roducts_id=649
Phrak
Aug19-09, 09:57 PM
P: 4,513
If you happen to salvage a Neodymium magnet out of a hard drive it will be a quadrapole...

RestlessMind
Aug19-09, 10:09 PM
P: 174
Neodymium Magnet Polarization

Thank you!
RestlessMind
Aug19-09, 10:11 PM
Hey, a quick question for anyone that knows... in these rules on that site...

# Neodymium magnets are brittle; they can be broken or can splinter in a collision. One should wear gloves and protective glasses when handling these magnets, because splinters could disengage and fly from the magnets.
# Normal Neodymium magnets will lose their magnetic properties if heated above 175F (80 C). Higher temperature rare earth neodymium magnets are available in our store.
# The strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can damage items such as television, computer monitors, credit cards, bank cards, computers, diskettes and other data carriers, video tapes, mechanical watches, hearing aids, loud speakers and VCRs. Pace-makers may be damaged or switch to "Test Mode" in the presence of a strong magnetic force, if a pace-maker is in use, keep a minimum of 3 feet distance.
# You should avoid having constant contact with magnets of any size and keep a distance of at least 3 feet to large magnets.
# Children should not be allowed to handle neodymium magnets as they can be dangerous. Small magnets pose a choking hazard and should never be swallowed or inserted into any part of the body.
# Under no circumstances should you try to cut, saw or drill the Neodymium magnets! Not only would the magnet break, but the resulting dust from the magnet is very flammable. Neodymium magnets should never be burned, as burning them will create toxic fumes.

Why does it say to stand 3 feet away from large magnets? o_o
Phrak
Aug19-09, 10:37 PM
Quote Quote by Draven View Post
Hey, a quick question for anyone that knows... in these rules on that site...
Because they've been burnt by a lawsuit or have lawyers employed to keep them from being burnt. You're reading the disclaimers to protect them from all this.
RestlessMind
Aug19-09, 11:00 PM
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
If you happen to salvage a Neodymium magnet out of a hard drive it will be a quadrapole...
Wow, I had no idea those existed.

Because they've been burnt by a lawsuit or have lawyers employed to keep them from being burnt. You're reading the disclaimers to protect them from all this.
Ah...
iansmith6
Aug19-09, 11:12 PM
P: 3
Weird. Why buy them if you can't get near them, indeed.

However, some large magnets are very dangerous. I own several that could break your fingers if you let them get between a pair. And even small magnets that look harmless can give you a nasty pinch and resulting blood blister or crushing injury.

-- wwww.ian.org
Phrak
Aug20-09, 12:01 AM
Re: quadrapoles.

Wow, I had no idea those existed.
I see this could be confusing. There are two north poles and two south poles. It just happens to be the arrangment that is best for moving the read/write arm over the surface.
RestlessMind
Aug20-09, 02:31 PM
However, there is no such thing as a magnet with one pole. Correct?
negitron
Aug20-09, 02:41 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
As far as we know, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole
RestlessMind
Aug20-09, 05:44 PM
Oh I see, that's cool.

Register to reply