Changing magnetic polarity of an electromagnet

fmorgan2
I would like to change the polarity of an electromagnet. I have reversed the wires attached to a 9 volt battery that wound about a bar magnet but this did not seem to make the north pole become the south pole.
Thanks for your assistance,
Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
Reversing the wires is the right solution. How do you know the poles didn't change?

Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and DaveE
From what I have read, it takes a considerably strong applied magnetic field to change the direction of polarity of a permanent magnet. One way to do it with a weaker magnetic field is to heat the magnet above its Curie temperature, and then apply the magnetic field. It comes as no surprise that you could not get the poles to change with even moderately strong electrical currents in the coil of the electromagnet.

Likes Dale
Charles Link said:
to change the direction of polarity of a permanent magnet.
An electromagnet is not a permanent magnet.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and Charles Link
The OP said electromagnet. The case with a permanent magnet Is different.

Likes vanhees71
Gordianus said:
The OP said electromagnet. The case with a permanent magnet Is different.
I think the OP needs to clarify what he is using in the core. If it is a soft iron core, the polarity should simply depend on the direction of current, and he would find it a simple matter to get the polarity to reverse.

Likes vanhees71
Maybe you're seeing residual magnetization of the core? As if the first current pulse magnetized it while it was killing the battery. Then when you reverse the terminals there's no (or not enough) reverse excitation?

Try a new battery or measure the current somehow. You're intuition was correct, I think. Something isn't what you think it is on your lab bench.

Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link
fmorgan2 said:
reversed the wires attached to a 9 volt battery that wound about a bar magnet
It sounds like the OP has an electromagnet wound around a permanent magnet.

It's a pity that the OP hasn't come back to answer these questions - he's been back to PF, just not this thread. So we're guessing.

I for one would like to see a detailed description of the setup. With numbers and everything.

BTW, you'll probably need a real low voltage high current power supply to do anything useful. A 9V battery just can't do much.

Likes vanhees71
That's one reason I asked for numbers.

Likes vanhees71

1. How can I change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet?

To change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet, you can simply reverse the direction of the current flowing through the coil. This can be done by switching the connections of the power source to the electromagnet.

2. Will changing the magnetic polarity affect the strength of the electromagnet?

Changing the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet will not affect the strength of the magnet. The strength of an electromagnet is determined by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through it, and the core material.

3. Can I change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet without reversing the current?

Yes, you can change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet without reversing the current by physically rotating the magnet 180 degrees. This will effectively change the north and south poles of the magnet.

4. What are the applications of changing the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet?

Changing the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet is commonly used in various applications such as magnetic levitation, magnetic sorting, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

5. Is it safe to change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet frequently?

It is generally safe to change the magnetic polarity of an electromagnet frequently. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with electromagnets to prevent any accidents or injuries.