Measuring change of magnetic field strengh over distance

april7
I have few cylindrical neodymium magnets of same diameter and different heights and different magnetic inductions in the geometric center of the magnetic pole surface. Knowing those values of magnetic induction, how can I measure what the induction is at a certain distance from that center?

For example height: 4 [mm] and induction: 0,263 [T]
What equation do I use to know what the induction is at distance of 4mm? I'm very much clueless about magnets and don't really know where to look.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a Hall probe.

Trying to measure the field with another magbet is difficult, as each pole responds differently, and what you will see is the difference in the field between the two. Converting that to a field is non-trivial.

april7 said:
I have few cylindrical neodymium magnets of same diameter and different heights and different magnetic inductions in the geometric center of the magnetic pole surface. Knowing those values of magnetic induction, how can I measure what the induction is at a certain distance from that center?

For example height: 4 [mm] and induction: 0,263 [T]
What equation do I use to know what the induction is at distance of 4mm? I'm very much clueless about magnets and don't really know where to look.
Do you want to measure the magnetic field or calculate it? If you are "very much clueless about magnets" I suggest that you buy a magnetometer and measure it. There are apps for smartphones but I am not sure of their limitations for strong magnetic fields like yours. Also, bringing a neodymium magnet close to your smartphone might mess up its compass calibration or other "stuff".

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Do you want to measure the magnetic field or calculate it? If you are "very much clueless about magnets" I suggest that you buy a magnetometer and measure it. There are apps for smartphones but I am not sure of their limitations for strong magnetic fields like yours. Also, bringing a neodymium magnet close to your smartphone might mess up its compass calibration or other "stuff".
Yes, I haven't specified it but I need to calculate it

april7 said:
I need to calculate it
april7 said:
I'm very much clueless about magnets
Those two statements are mutually inconsistent.

What you want is very difficult and usually solved numerically. It is not for the clueless, I'm afraid,

Vanadium 50 said:
Those two statements are mutually inconsistent.

What you want is very difficult and usually solved numerically. It is not for the clueless, I'm afraid,
I'm doing my engineering thesis on superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPION) and I'm tasked with creating a model of magnetic pad we will use to stimulate particles with. I have to calculate which of few different neodymium magnets will give approximate value of 200 mT at distance of 4 mm. I want to know if I can calculate it and how I can do that without using programs.

Again, this is really hard. You don't even have adequately specified boundary conditions. As people have suggested, measure.

well I used chatgpt, asked same question and was directed to online calculator and softwares that can calculate it
I've got my answer now so I guess thread can be closed

Good luck.

1. How do you measure the change of magnetic field strength over distance?

To measure the change of magnetic field strength over distance, you can use a magnetometer or a Hall effect sensor. These devices can detect the magnetic field and provide readings that can be used to calculate the change in strength as you move away from the source.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss, so the two units are often used interchangeably depending on the scale of the magnetic field being measured.

3. How does the magnetic field strength change with distance from a magnet?

The magnetic field strength decreases with distance from a magnet following an inverse square law. This means that as you move further away from the magnet, the strength of the magnetic field diminishes rapidly, with the field strength being inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring magnetic field strength over distance?

Factors such as interference from other magnetic sources, temperature fluctuations, and the orientation of the sensor relative to the magnetic field can all affect the accuracy of measuring magnetic field strength over distance. It is important to account for these factors when conducting measurements.

5. How can the data collected from measuring magnetic field strength over distance be used?

The data collected from measuring magnetic field strength over distance can be used to map out the magnetic field around a magnet, analyze the magnetic properties of materials, or calculate the distance to a magnetic source. This information is valuable in various scientific and engineering applications.