Register to reply

Triple integrals

by Dx
Tags: integrals, triple
Share this thread:
Dx
Jun29-03, 04:45 PM
P: n/a
Compute triple integral f(x,y)dV given f(x,y,z)=2x+3y. T is the tetrahedron bounded by the coordinate planes and first octant part of the plane with equation 2x + 3y + z = 6.

how do i solve for this, can someone get me started halfway, plz?
Dx
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
anomaly
Jun30-03, 04:22 AM
P: 17
I dont know if you have solved this problem already, but here goes:

The first step you will want to do is draw two diagrams, one of the solid, and one projection of it on the x-y plane.

Then solve the equation for z (or x or y whichever is going to produce the easiest integral outcome).

In this case I would go for the z solution:
z=2x+3y-6
Then determine the axis intersections in order to find the integral limits.
Set up your triple integral, solve.
HallsofIvy
Jun30-03, 08:40 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,338
The "innermost" integral will be with respect to z (dz) and will have limits z= 0 to z= 6- 2x- 3y.

"projecting" down to the x,y plane (z= 0) gives the line where the plane 2x+ 3y+ z= 6 crosses the x,y plane: 2x+ 3y= 6. We need to integrate over the triangle with edges x=0, y=0, 2x+ 3y= 6.

Solving for y, y= 2- (2/3)x. The second integral will be with respect to y (dy) and will have limits y= 0 and y= 2-(2/3)x.

Finally, project to the x-axis itself. The line 2x+3y= 6 crosses the x-axis when y= 0: 2x= 6 or x= 3. The final integral will be with respect to x (dx) and will have limits x= 0, x= 3.

The triple integral you want is

integral (x=0 to 3) integral (y=0 t0 2-(2/3)x) integral (z= 0 to 6- 2x+3y)(2x+3y)dzdydx.

Register to reply