Finding Bounds for a Triple Integral: Solids Bounded by a Paraboloid and Plane

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, we are dealing with a solid bounded by the paraboloid z = 9 - x^2 - y^2 and the plane z = 0 in the xy-plane. The volume can be found using a triple integral, with the bounds for z ranging from 0 to 9 - x^2 - y^2, and for y and x being dependent on z. Alternatively, the volume can also be found using a solid of revolution method from calculus 1.
harpazo
Set up a triple integral for the volume of the solid. DO NOT FIND THE VOLUME.

The solid bounded by the paraboloid z = 9 - x^2 - y^2 and the plane z = 0.

We are dealing with the xy-plane where z = 0.

I know that 0 ≤ z ≤ 9 - x^2 - y^2. The bounds of the integral pertaining to dz are z = 0 to z = 9 - x^2 - y^2.

How do I find the other bounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
$z$ is going to range from $z=0$ to $z=9$. Along any of these planes, the cross-section will be the circle:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=9-z\)

And so $y$ will range from $y=-\sqrt{9-z}$ to $y=\sqrt{9-z}$

And $x$ will range from $x=-\sqrt{9-z-y^2}$ to $x=\sqrt{9-z-y^2}$

Thus, the volume will be given by:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^9\int_{-\sqrt{9-z}}^{\sqrt{9-z}}\int_{-\sqrt{9-z-y^2}}^{\sqrt{9-z-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\,dz\)

If we use polar coordinates, then we have:

\(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le2\pi\)

\(\displaystyle 0\le r\le3\)

\(\displaystyle 0\le z\le9-r^2\)

And the volume is:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^3 r\int_0^{9-r^2}\,dz\,dr\,d\theta\)

Just so you have something to check your answers against, observe that we can find the volume using a solid of revolution, a Calc I technique.

\(\displaystyle V=\pi\int_0^9 x\,dx=\frac{81\pi}{2}\) :D

I recall very little about the solid of revolution from calculus 1.

Harpazo said:
I recall very little about the solid of revolution from calculus 1.

Then you will need to go back and review them!

I need to review solids of revolution from calculus 1.

1. How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. This involves understanding the boundaries of the region being integrated and choosing appropriate limits for each variable. Then, you can write the integral in the form of ∭f(x,y,z)dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element.

2. What is the purpose of using a triple integral?

A triple integral is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region or to find the average value of a function over a three-dimensional region. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate things like mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

3. How do you determine the order of integration for a triple integral?

The order of integration for a triple integral depends on the shape and boundaries of the region being integrated. A general rule of thumb is to integrate with respect to the variable that has the smallest range of values first. For more complex regions, it may be necessary to use a combination of orders of integration.

4. Can a triple integral be converted to a double integral?

Yes, a triple integral can be converted to a double integral by fixing one variable and integrating over the remaining two variables. This is known as integrating in slices or using the method of cylindrical shells.

5. What are some applications of triple integrals in real life?

Triple integrals have many applications in real life, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the center of mass of an object, finding the electric field of a charged particle, determining the probability of an event in statistics, and calculating the volume of a fluid in a container.