Finding Bounds for a Triple Integral in the First Octant

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Being able to change the order of integration can be crucial as well. Some iterated integrals that may be impossible to evaluate using one order of integration can, perhaps, be evaluated using the reverse order of integration.Consider the following example:Evaluate \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA over the region bounded by $y=x^2$, $x=0$ and $y=4$.When viewed as a Type I region (vertical strips), we find:0\le x\le2x^2\le y\le4And so:\iint\limits_{R}xe
harpazo
Set up a triple integral for the volume of the solid. DO NOT FIND THE VOLUME.

The solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinates planes and the plane z = 4 - x - y.

We are dealing with the xy-plane where z = 0.

I know that 0 ≤ z ≤ 4 - x - y. The bounds of the integral pertaining to dz are z = 0 to z = 4 - x - y.

How do I find the other bounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Set up a triple integral for the volume of the solid. DO NOT FIND THE VOLUME.

The solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinates planes and the plane z = 4 - x - y.

We are dealing with the xy-plane where z = 0.

I know that 0 ≤ z ≤ 4 - x - y. The bounds of the integral pertaining to dz are z = 0 to z = 4 - x - y.

How do I find the other bounds?

Since you're in the first octant you immediately know that all variables are nonnegative, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x, y, z \geq 0 \end{align*}$. When z = 0 we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 4 - x \end{align*}$. When x = 0, y is at its maximum of 4, and when y = 0, x is at its maximum of 4. Thus the bounds are $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq 4 - x - y , \, 0 \leq y \leq 4 - x, \, 0 \leq x \leq 4 \end{align*}$.

The plane x+ y+ z= 4 cuts the xy-plane (z= 0) at x+ y= 4 or y= 4- x. That line cuts the x-axis (y= 0) at x= 4. x goes from 0 to 4, for each x, y goes from 0 to 4- x and, for each (x, y), z goes from 0 to 4- x- y. The integral is [tex]\int_0^4\int_0^{4-x}\int_0^{4-x-y} dzdydx[/tex].

Prove It said:
Since you're in the first octant you immediately know that all variables are nonnegative, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x, y, z \geq 0 \end{align*}$. When z = 0 we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 4 - x \end{align*}$. When x = 0, y is at its maximum of 4, and when y = 0, x is at its maximum of 4. Thus the bounds are $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq 4 - x - y , \, 0 \leq y \leq 4 - x, \, 0 \leq x \leq 4 \end{align*}$.

Thanks for providing the bounds. I am not too clear on the first octant idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely need to practice finding the bounds more than I originally considered.

Harpazo said:
Thanks for providing the bounds. I am not too clear on the first octant idea...

Three perpedicular axes will divide the space into 8 regions known as octants:

2e75202e00f69adeff8f07a790d6f28e605886d0.png

The octant where all coordinates are positive is know as the first octant...in the image above, it is the top-front-right octant.

MarkFL said:
Three perpedicular axes will divide the space into 8 regions known as octants:
The octant where all coordinates are positive is know as the first octant...in the image above, it is the top-front-right octant.

Nice picture. Good notes.

I need to practice setting up double and triple integrals. Evaluating in most cases is not an issue.

Harpazo said:
I need to practice setting up double and triple integrals. Evaluating in most cases is not an issue.

Being able to change the order of integration can be crucial as well. Some iterated integrals that may be impossible to evaluate using one order of integration can, perhaps, be evaluated using the reverse order of integration.

Consider the following example:

Evaluate \(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA\) over the region bounded by $y=x^2$, $x=0$ and $y=4$.

When viewed as a Type I region (vertical strips), we find:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le2\)

\(\displaystyle x^2\le y\le4\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA=\int_0^2 x\int_{x^2}^4 e^{y^2}\,dy\,dx\)

The difficulty here is that the partial integral \(\displaystyle \int_{x^2}^4 e^{y^2}\,dy\) cannot be evaluated since $e^{y^2}$ has no elementary antiderivative with respect to $y$. However, we can interpret the same region as a Type II region (horizontal strips) defined by:

\(\displaystyle 0\le y\le4\)

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le\sqrt{y}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA=\int_0^4 e^{y^2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{y}}x \,dx\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^4 2ye^{y^2}\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\left(e^{16}-1\right)\)

MarkFL said:
Being able to change the order of integration can be crucial as well. Some iterated integrals that may be impossible to evaluate using one order of integration can, perhaps, be evaluated using the reverse order of integration.

Consider the following example:

Evaluate \(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA\) over the region bounded by $y=x^2$, $x=0$ and $y=4$.

When viewed as a Type I region (vertical strips), we find:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le2\)

\(\displaystyle x^2\le y\le4\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA=\int_0^2 x\int_{x^2}^4 e^{y^2}\,dy\,dx\)

The difficulty here is that the partial integral \(\displaystyle \int_{x^2}^4 e^{y^2}\,dy\) cannot be evaluated since $e^{y^2}$ has no elementary antiderivative with respect to $y$. However, we can interpret the same region as a Type II region (horizontal strips) defined by:

\(\displaystyle 0\le y\le4\)

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le\sqrt{y}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \iint\limits_{R}xe^{y^2}\,dA=\int_0^4 e^{y^2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{y}}x \,dx\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^4 2ye^{y^2}\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\left(e^{16}-1\right)\)

Please, explain the difference between vertical and horizontal strips via geometric interpretation.

Harpazo said:
Please, explain the difference between vertical and horizontal strips via geometric interpretation.

Consider the following diagram of the region $R$ from the example I posted:

View attachment 6626

Now, if we consider this a region of Type I, then the outer integral will be in terms of $x$, which we see ranges from $0\le x\le 2$, and the inner integral will be in terms of $y$, which we see ranges from $x^2\le y\le4$...the vertical red strip.

If we consider this a region of Type II, then the outer integral will be in terms of $y$, which we see ranges from $0\le y\le 4$, and the inner integral will be in terms of $x$, which we see ranges from $0\le x\le\sqrt{y}$...the horizontal green strip.

Attachments

• interatedtypes.png
    interatedtypes.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 54
MarkFL said:
Consider the following diagram of the region $R$ from the example I posted:
Now, if we consider this a region of Type I, then the outer integral will be in terms of $x$, which we see ranges from $0\le x\le 2$, and the inner integral will be in terms of $y$, which we see ranges from $x^2\le y\le4$...the vertical red strip.

If we consider this a region of Type II, then the outer integral will be in terms of $y$, which we see ranges from $0\le y\le 4$, and the inner integral will be in terms of $x$, which we see ranges from $0\le x\le\sqrt{y}$...the horizontal green strip.

An excellent reply.

1. What is a triple integral and how is it set up?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is set up by integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, with each integral representing a different dimension.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a triple integral depend on the shape of the three-dimensional region and the coordinate system being used. They can be determined by visualizing the region and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes.

3. What is the difference between a triple integral in rectangular coordinates and one in cylindrical or spherical coordinates?

A triple integral in rectangular coordinates is set up using rectangular boundaries, while a triple integral in cylindrical or spherical coordinates is set up using polar or spherical boundaries. This allows for more efficient and accurate integration for certain types of three-dimensional objects.

4. Can a triple integral be used to find the volume of any three-dimensional object?

No, a triple integral can only be used to find the volume of objects that can be represented by a continuous function over a three-dimensional region. For more complex objects, other methods such as surface integration may be necessary.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the mass of an object with varying density, find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and determine fluid flow or electric field strength over a three-dimensional region.