How do I evaluate this triple integral for 2ze^(-x^2) over the given bounds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a triple integral with the function 2ze^(-x^2) over dydxdz, with bounds 0 to x for dy, 0 to 1 for dx, and 1 to 4 for dz. It is suggested to make a substitution u = x^2 to simplify the integral, and both u = x^2 and u = -x^2 can be used. The final integral becomes \int_1^4\int_0^1 zxe^{-x^2}dxdz= \left(\int_1^4 z dz\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 e^{-u} du
harpazo
Evaluate the triple integral.

Let S S S = triple integral

The function given is 2ze^(-x^2)

We are integrating over dydxdz.

Bounds pertaining to dy: 0 to x

Bounds pertaining to dx: 0 to 1

Bounds pertaining to dz: 1 to 4

S S S 2ze^(-x^2) dydxdz

S S 2yze^(-x^2) from y = 0 to y = x dxdz

S S 2xze^(-x^2) dxdz

I am stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you can continue by making the sub $u=x^2$.

greg1313 said:
It looks like you can continue by making the sub $u=x^2$.

You mean u = -x^2 not x^2, right?

Harpazo said:
You mean u = -x^2 not x^2, right?

You could use either one, however, I would use the substitution suggested by Greg because then you already have the needed differential without adding a negative sign both within the differential and in the integrand or equivalently, in front of the integral (which would allow you to reverse the now "backwards" limits of integration). However, either substitution will get you to the correct answer. :D

MarkFL said:
You could use either one, however, I would use the substitution suggested by Greg because then you already have the needed differential without adding a negative sign both within the differential and in the integrand or equivalently, in front of the integral (which would allow you to reverse the now "backwards" limits of integration). However, either substitution will get you to the correct answer. :D

Ok. You know best.

Let, as suggested, u= x^2. Then du= 2xdx so that (1/2)du= x dx. When x= 0, u= 0 and when x= 1, u= 1.

The integral becomes [tex]\int_1^4\int_0^1 zxe^{-x^2}dxdz= \left(\int_1^4 z dz\right)\left(\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 e^{-u} du\right)[/tex]

It is an interesting problem all around.

1. What is a triple integral and when is it used?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region. It is typically used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving volume, mass, and other physical quantities.

2. How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z), which define the boundaries of the region you are integrating over. Then, you can use the appropriate integration technique (such as substitution or integration by parts) to solve the integral.

3. What are the different types of triple integrals?

There are three types of triple integrals: Type I, Type II, and Type III. Type I integrals are evaluated over a rectangular region, Type II integrals are evaluated over a region bounded by a function of y and two constant values of x, and Type III integrals are evaluated over a region bounded by a function of x and two constant values of y.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite triple integral?

A definite triple integral has specific numerical limits of integration, while an indefinite triple integral does not. In other words, a definite triple integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite triple integral will give you a function of the variables being integrated.

5. Can you use a change of variables in a triple integral?

Yes, you can use a change of variables in a triple integral to simplify the integration process. This is especially useful when the region being integrated over has a complex shape or when the integrand is difficult to integrate in its original form.