Student in need of advice

• Thread starter Osairiis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary: In general, it seems like you want to do something more specific than just taking a generalized engineering degree. If you want to do aerospace controls, specifically autopilot design, then you'll want to make sure you've taken control theory courses offered in electrical engineering. Additionally, you'll want to make sure you have a background in mechanics.
Osairiis
student in need of advice ...

hi there , i am a 17 yr old student from malta, and am studying maths and physics at GCE level. I want to go to unviersity but am in need of some advice ...

i prefer electricity and stuff but am rather interested into continuing to some kind of aeronautical/aerospace or something degree or something

i was asking myself if i take an electrical engineering bachelors degree ... would i'd still be in a position to take some aeronautical eng. masters degree later on in my studies ?

what are the other possibilities ? another problem i have is that the university of malta only offers industrial, mechanical or electrical engineering courses ...

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Osairiis said:
Hi there, I am a 17 year old student from malta and am studying maths and physics at GCE level. I want to go to unviersity but am in need of some advice.

I prefer electricity and stuff, but am rather interested into continuing to some kind of aeronautical/aerospace or something degree or something.

I was asking myself if I take an electrical engineering bachelors degree, would I still be in a position to take some aeronautical eng. masters degree later on in my studies?

What are the other possibilities? Another problem I have is that the university of malta only offers industrial, mechanical or electrical engineering courses.

Any help?

Hi Osairiis,

First, I've cleaned up your post. Please try to type as I've corrected it in the future. I think the first thing you need to do is think about what interests you the most. If you know you want to do Aeronautical engineering, the closest thing would be mechanical engineering, with electrical coming in second. Specifically, if you want to do aerodynamics, then mechanical engineering is going to be a better fit. If you want to do aerospace controls, specifically autopilot design, then you'll want to make sure you've taken control theory courses offered in electrical engineering (if mechanical does not offer them).

Industrial engineering (I'm not sure what that means), does not appear to be very relevant. I can give you a better gauge if you can give some specifics as to what it teaches.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your interest in pursuing a degree in engineering! It's a challenging but rewarding field, and it's great to see that you have a specific interest in electricity and aeronautics/aerospace.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to pursue a masters degree in aeronautical engineering after completing a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students to combine different engineering disciplines, so you may be able to tailor your studies to include courses in both electricity and aeronautics.

In terms of other possibilities, you could also consider looking into universities outside of Malta that offer aeronautical engineering programs. This would allow you to specialize in your preferred field right from the start. Additionally, you could also consider pursuing a double major or minor in aeronautical engineering while completing your electrical engineering degree.

I understand that the limited options at the University of Malta may be a challenge, but don't let that discourage you. You can always explore other universities and programs, and there may also be opportunities for internships or research projects in aeronautical engineering that you can pursue while completing your degree in Malta.

Overall, my advice would be to keep exploring your options and don't be afraid to reach out to professors or advisors for guidance. Good luck with your studies and future endeavors!

1. How can I balance my academic workload and extracurricular activities?

It's important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule and stick to it, set realistic goals, and don't be afraid to say no to activities that may interfere with your studies. Also, make sure to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

2. What should I do if I am struggling in a particular subject?

First, communicate with your teacher or professor and ask for extra help or resources. You can also form study groups with classmates, utilize online tutorials or review materials, and practice regularly. Don't be afraid to seek help from tutors or academic advisors as well.

3. How can I improve my study habits and be more productive?

Start by creating a designated study space that is quiet and free from distractions. Set specific goals and use active learning techniques such as taking notes and summarizing material. Also, break up study sessions into smaller chunks and take regular breaks to avoid burnout.

4. What can I do to prepare for exams?

First, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the material by attending lectures, participating in class, and completing assignments. Review your notes regularly, create study guides or flashcards, and practice with past exams or quizzes. Make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the exam.

5. How can I manage my stress and avoid burnout as a student?

It's important to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Make sure to get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and eat well. Take breaks and participate in activities you enjoy. It's also helpful to talk to a counselor or therapist if you are feeling overwhelmed or anxious.