Aeronautical Engineering or Nuclear Engineering?

In summary: So if you're interested in doing research in astrophysics, odds are you'll need to do a lot of undergraduate coursework in engineering in order to make the jump.Overall, it's a good idea to have a clear idea of what you want to do before you start specializing in undergraduate programs. But don't be afraid to explore and try out different options!
Shiroe_Blank
How did you find PF?: Via Google

Hello,
I am a new member here. Thano you for having me !
Im going through a dilemma. Next year I will have to choose a subject for higher studies. I want to work in space organisations in future and I like space researches. So basically Aeronautical Engineer would be a obvious choice. But then again, I also love chemistry and specially nuclear,atom, subatomic material topics.So there comes Nuclear Engineering as well. Is Nuclear Engineering anyhow related to astrophysics/aerospace? Or would it be better to take Aeronautical Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the physics forums!

One thing I like to tell students trying to figure out a course of study is try not to specialize too early. Many schools are set up so that a first year in engineering is rather generic. Just about all engineers will take a common set of courses and then specialize as they move on in their programs. Even if it's not set up this way, specifically, it's usually a good idea to choose your courses so you have the flexibility to move between programs after your first year.

Once you're at a university you can then explore, join the aerospace club, the nuclear engineering club, talk to students in those programs, look up where in the workforce students in those programs are ending up. Check out what internships are available, what the courses look like, etc.

Start general, move to specific as you need to. I realize it's great to tell your friends and family that you're enrolled in a ________ program, but really it's quite common for people to jump around. When it comes to STEM, it's not impossible that the industry you'll actually end up working in doesn't even exist yet!

• Wow
Likes Shiroe_Blank
Thats quite an understandable suggestions. I forgot about the clubs and extra curricular activities as well. Thanks for the suggestion👍👍👍
I have another question. Can I do anything related to astro-physics with any of these two?

Shiroe_Blank said:
Can I do anything related to astro-physics with any of these two?

Generally speaking if you want to conduct astrophysics research, you need a PhD in that area. Whether you can jump from an undergraduate degree in nuclear or aerospace engineering into a PhD in astrophysics is an open question. It is *possible* as there is a lot of overlap between undergraduate programs in physics and engineering. But its also important to keep in mind that engineering programs tend to carry a heavy course load on their own and if you're filling your electives with courses that you'll need for graduate school in physics, there probably won't be a lot of time for much else in your life.

That said, a lot also depends on what you mean by "related to astrophysics." When you look at big multi-million dollar experiments/research programs, these are huge collaborations that involve a considerable amount of engineering to get off the ground.

1. What is aeronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, materials science, and control systems to create safe and efficient flying machines.

2. What are the job opportunities for aeronautical engineers?

Aeronautical engineers can work in various industries, including commercial and military aviation, space exploration, and research and development. They can also specialize in areas such as aircraft design, propulsion systems, avionics, and aerodynamics.

3. What skills are required for a career in aeronautical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in aeronautical engineering include strong math and physics abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on complex projects with other engineers and professionals.

4. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the harnessing and use of nuclear energy for various applications. This includes the design and operation of nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical equipment that uses radioactive materials.

5. What are the potential risks of working in nuclear engineering?

Working in nuclear engineering can involve exposure to radiation, which can be harmful to human health if proper safety measures are not followed. However, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to protect workers and the public from potential risks. Additionally, advancements in technology and safety measures have greatly reduced the risks associated with nuclear engineering.