What is Dark Matter and is it a reputable concept in astronomy and cosmology?

• Thread starter alexkerhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark matter, which is a type of matter that is theorized to make up over 90% of the mass in the universe. It was proposed to explain certain observations in astronomy, such as the movements of stars in a galaxy and the expansion of the universe. However, it has not yet been detected and remains a theoretical concept. The conversation also touches upon the related concept of dark energy. The conversation takes place in a forum where theoretical discussions are discouraged, but the existence of dark matter is widely accepted in the scientific community.
alexkerhead
What is "Black matter"?

I have heard somthing about "black matter" as an idea, but cannot find any information on it..
Would anyone care to endulge me please?
I am interested, for an odd reaon, I will specify later..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of "black" matter, perhaps you mean dark matter. Dark matter is a kind of matter theorized to make up over 90% of the mass in the universe. It was theorized for different reasons, for example...stars in our galaxy were noticed to revolve around the center faster than they should be, accoding to calculations of the gravitational force towards the center. When people saw that the calculated speed was slower than what was being observed, it lead them to believe that there was matter in the galaxy that we were not seeing or detecting. Although dark matter explains the illogic things that have happened, its still very hypothetical because it has not yet been detected. Dark matter is supposidly the reason for why the universe is accelerating in its expansion outward. Since gravity should be slowing it down, it made no sense for the universe to accelerate outward...it defied the laws of physics. Anyways, I am going to stop there because we probably arent even supposed to be talking about such theoretical things in this section of the forum. If you want to see threads about dark matter, just go to Theory Development, I am sure you can find plenty there, or just do a search for "Dark Matter".

Dark matter

The Dark matter is something like a black hole, that we know its there but we don't know what actually is it, how is it. The idea of the dark matter is introduced when it was discovered that the linear velocity of the inner and the outer (visible) edge of a galaxy were very close to each other. It was explained that there is something present in the galaxy which is not visible (in any way) but very much massive then the ordinary things present in the galaxies and is extended to much far extent then the visible galaxy is supposed to be. Being located away from the center and much more massive it it causes the linear speed of the inner and the outer edge of galaxy to be close to each other. As we are unable to detect it, it is named as the Dark Matter.

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums alexherhead!

There are quite a few threads in General Astronomy & Cosmology discussing dark matter and dark energy, including some in the sticky - perhaps you could go and look there?

re Black Matter

Perhaps you mean a black body material? That is something that absorbs and reemmits radiation (IR usually where people talk about it) in all wavelenghts.

Thanks, I am sorry I put this here..
But I was curious..
I was told NOT to go to the theory development area, due to false facts..
I placed this here, so I could get true or more reperatable statements..
And thanks for the info and welcome..

alexkerhead said:
But I was curious..
There's nothing 'false' about dark matter! There are several different classes of observations pointing to its existence ... even 'dark energy' is quite fashionable in astronomy and cosmology these days. See you in GA&C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
But I was curious..

By Nereid:
There's nothing 'false' about dark matter! There are several different classes of observations pointing to its existence ... even 'dark energy' is quite fashionable in astronomy and cosmology these days. See you in GA&C!

#1) I am sorry I used the word "reperatable", I am not sure why I did that..It was supposed to be Reputable.

#2) I never said Dark Matter was NOT real, I said..
I was told NOT to go to the theory development area, due to false facts
#3) Thanks for welcoming me.

1. What is black matter?

Black matter is a theoretical type of matter that is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe. It is called "black" because it does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to traditional telescopes.

2. How is black matter different from regular matter?

Black matter differs from regular matter in that it does not interact with light, making it invisible. It also does not interact with electromagnetic forces, but does have a gravitational effect on other matter.

3. What is the evidence for the existence of black matter?

The primary evidence for the existence of black matter comes from observations of the rotational speeds of galaxies. Based on the amount of visible matter in a galaxy, the stars on the outer edges should be moving slower than they actually are, indicating the presence of additional matter that we cannot see.

4. How is black matter detected?

Black matter cannot be detected directly, as it does not interact with light. Instead, scientists use indirect methods such as observing its gravitational effects on visible matter, or looking for the radiation produced when black matter particles collide and annihilate.

5. What is the current understanding of black matter?

While scientists have not yet been able to directly detect or fully understand black matter, it is believed to play a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. Research and experiments are ongoing to further understand this mysterious substance.