HSC dark matter survey...where is it?

In summary, the two webpages show snippets comparing the HSC map of dark matter to the Planck map of dark matter, as well as a graphic showing the time evolution of the dark matter over time. These plots are simulations based on different model parameters from Planck's measurements and HSC's. The figures used in the webpages were not found in the cited arxiv article and may have been created specifically for the press release or taken from a presentation. The statistical significance of the results is not conclusive and further data from HSC is expected to provide more clarity in the future.
yahastu
Both of these webpages show snippets comparing the HSC map of dark matter to the Planck map of dark matter, as well as a graphic showing the time evolution of the dark matter over time:
https://www.livescience.com/63711-3d-dark-matter-map.html
https://phys.org/news/2018-09-hyper-suprime-cam-survey-dark-universe.html

Both of the above webpages cite this arxiv article:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.09148

However, when I look in this arxiv article, I cannot find either of the figures anywhere in it. Can anyone direct me to the actual article that these figures were taken from, or to some other authoritative source of those images?

Space news on Phys.org
yahastu said:
Both of these webpages show snippets comparing the HSC map of dark matter to the Planck map of dark matter,
This is a bit of a misunderstanding of the data. There is no Planck map of dark matter, as it doesn't measure dark matter in a way that can be used to construct a map (short version: Planck averages certain temperature statistics across the sky to measure the average amount of dark matter).

The two plots are simulations showing what the large-scale structure should look like given two different sets of model parameters: one from Planck's measurements, one from HSC's.

yahastu said:
However, when I look in this arxiv article, I cannot find either of the figures anywhere in it. Can anyone direct me to the actual article that these figures were taken from, or to some other authoritative source of those images?
Unfortunately I'm not sure where they got those. If I had to guess, they were either made directly for the press release, or were taken from a presentation one of the project scientists did. Either way, they should be considered visual aids rather than real data.

That said, as near as I can tell, the statistical significance of this result isn't that overwhelming. There may be some tension, but the discrepancy is small enough that it could easily be a fluke (or a source of error that wasn't thought of by the project scientists). Ideally the additional HSC data coming in over the next few years should help to clarify the situation.

1. What is the HSC dark matter survey?

The HSC dark matter survey is a large-scale astronomical project that aims to map the distribution of dark matter in the universe. It uses the Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC) instrument on the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii to observe and measure the weak gravitational lensing effect of dark matter on distant galaxies.

2. Where is the HSC dark matter survey being conducted?

The HSC dark matter survey is being conducted using the Subaru Telescope, which is located on the summit of Maunakea in Hawaii. The telescope is operated by the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) and is one of the world's largest and most advanced optical telescopes.

3. How is the HSC dark matter survey being carried out?

The HSC dark matter survey is being carried out by observing a large area of the sky for an extended period of time. The Subaru Telescope takes images of the same region of the sky over and over again, allowing scientists to detect tiny distortions in the shapes of distant galaxies caused by the gravitational pull of dark matter.

4. When will the results of the HSC dark matter survey be available?

The HSC dark matter survey is an ongoing project and is expected to take several years to complete. The first results from the survey were released in 2017, and more data and findings are expected to be released in the coming years as the survey continues.

5. What are the potential implications of the HSC dark matter survey?

The results of the HSC dark matter survey could have significant implications for our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe. By mapping the distribution of dark matter, scientists hope to gain insights into the nature of this elusive substance and its role in the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures in the universe.