Dark matter does not interact with ordinary matter....

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea that dark matter does not interact with ordinary matter, except for gravity, and the implications of this for calculations and experiments. There was also a discussion about the possibility of dark matter interacting with the weak nuclear force and its implications for detection.
etotheipi
In the other thread, it was noted that dark matter doesn't interact with ordinary matter.

Now I tread cautiously, not knowing any of the relevant theory. In some school questions, I've come across discussion of 'dark matter halos' which are necessary to ensure the rotation curve of the galaxy fits what we observe; an example would be something like:

1598980351364.png

For the purposes of this problem, for instance, we're just supposed to assume the dark matter interacts gravitationally just like ordinary matter does.

But if dark matter doesn't actually interact with ordinary matter, electromagnetically, gravitationally, or otherwise, then I wondered if someone could explain to me how we should perform these sorts of calculations? Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
In the other thread, it was noted that dark matter doesn't interact with ordinary matter.

No, it was noted that dark matter doesn't interact non-gravitationally with ordinary matter.

etotheipi said:
if dark matter doesn't actually interact with ordinary matter, electromagnetically, gravitationally, or otherwise

Nobody has been saying dark matter doesn't interact gravitationally. The whole reason for postulating dark matter in cosmological models is to provide enough of a source of gravity, over and above visible matter, to account for observations.

Likes etotheipi and Motore
Cool, thanks. I only asked because I noticed some sadness in response to the post that said "Wrong. It interacts gravitationally".

I'm glad there's nothing more to it! :smile:

Dark matter interacts gravitationally with normal matter and other dark matter. It just doesn't interact electromagnetically with anything. And collisions are electromagnetic interactions - if you "touch" a table, the electron clouds of your fingertip atoms are repelled by the electron clouds of the table atoms. That doesn't happen with dark matter - it just passes through.

So dark matter can be dragged around gravitationally - that's the dark matter halo. It just doesn't collide and suffer frictional losses the way regular matter does, so it doesn't clump into stars and planets and all the other junk we see out there.

etotheipi said:
I noticed some sadness in response to the post that said "Wrong. It interacts gravitationally".
That statement is correct. It just doesn't read as the most constructive attitude...

Likes etotheipi and Motore
To be more precise, I believe the actual limitations are on it not having electromagnetic or strong nuclear charge.

No electromagnetic charge is required because with such a charge it would behave very similar to normal matter. Which it definitely doesn't.

If it interacted with the strong nuclear force, it would collide with normal matter pretty frequently, making it super easy to detect in experiments here on Earth. I believe it would also change how the first elements formed in the very early universe.

It is very possible, however, for dark matter to interact with the weak nuclear force. And it definitely interacts with gravity because everything does (gravity interacts with mass, energy, momentum, and pressure, and everything has at least energy).

Weak nuclear force interactions are why physicists are looking for dark matter using underground experiments, for example.

Likes PeroK, Ibix and etotheipi
It is had to distinguish between "does not interact" and "interacts too weakly to notice".

Likes etotheipi

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other traditional means of detection. It is estimated to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How do we know dark matter does not interact with ordinary matter?

Scientists have studied the behavior of dark matter and have found that it does not interact with other forms of matter through the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for interactions between ordinary matter. This is supported by observations of the rotation of galaxies and the bending of light around massive objects, which can only be explained by the presence of dark matter.

3. What are the implications of dark matter not interacting with ordinary matter?

The fact that dark matter does not interact with ordinary matter has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. For example, it helps to explain the structure and evolution of galaxies and the large-scale distribution of matter in the universe. It also suggests the existence of new, yet-to-be-discovered particles that make up dark matter.

4. Can dark matter ever be detected or observed?

While dark matter cannot be directly observed due to its lack of interaction with light, scientists are working on ways to indirectly detect its presence. This includes studying the effects of dark matter on visible matter, as well as searching for evidence of dark matter particles through experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider.

5. Could dark matter be harmful to us?

Based on our current understanding, dark matter does not pose any direct harm to us. It does not interact with ordinary matter, including the atoms that make up our bodies, so it cannot cause any physical harm. However, further research and understanding of dark matter may reveal new information about its nature and potential effects on the universe.