Mystery of a Spam Email to my Anti-Spam Account

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of spammers gaining access to anti-spam email accounts, as well as the concept of a guaranteed spam-free email service. The conversation also mentions the idea of a speaker phone option on phones and the potential legal issues of opening someone's email. Finally, one person mentions how their idea for a disposable email address system was seemingly stolen by a company that patented the technology.
Dagenais
My anti-spam Email account is suppose to be basically spam free.

However, today I received an Email which may have contained a virus and a message I could not read. My provider blocked both from my account. The title however was "I cannot forget you!"

The Email's domain contained the words:

HOUSE.IMSMAIL.SYSTEM09 @housemail.house.gov (without the space in the @)

So, how did they get a hold of my anti-spam Email account? I don't remember signing up for spam or any harmful Email.

I'm assuming the attachment contained a harmful program.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Some computer viruses spread through people's address books. So if someone who's infected with the virus has your email address in his address book, you risk being sent the virus too.

I wondered why phones don't ALL have a speaker phone option, so you could put it down and still talk...

Then realized that as much as we hate cell phones going off in public places, and how much some people ignore who is around and blab their whole life to all...

THANK GOD phones don't have that obvious and helpful feature...

There is some legal issue about opening someone's email, it is like opening their snail mail. I would have thought it could be nice big business to sell GUARAUNTEED SPAM FREE email, where someone would intercept and check against known spammers, but even to just read titles of someone's emails is probably illegal..

But isn't it funny, many people would pay.. like $50 a month to have truly spam-free email eh? Strange no one has made a way yet...

And disclaimers saying "I promise not to annoy people with my speaker phone" so that polite people can have THAT option eh?

It's not just watching out for your own driving, but the idiot drivers that is important!

I use Zoemail. In principle, it is absolutely spam-free, since it based on disposable addresses. If a spammer gets a hold of one, you just delete it and make a new one. No big whoop.

- Warren

Hey, they stole my idea!

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?p=1802#post1802

The company started in 2003. The exact year I posted the idea. I'm going to sue for prior art. AT&T patented technology my *** :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
dduardo said:
Hey, they stole my idea!

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?p=1802#post1802

The company started in 2003. The exact year I posted the idea. I'm going to sue for prior art. AT&T patented technology my *** :mad:

Are you really going to sue them? It sounds difficult proving it. Good luck on fighting their battery of lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I chance against AT&T lawyers, even though I did write my idea on paper and dated it 3/30/2003. What I should have done is mailed the paper to myself. O well, I'll have another great idea some other time.

dduardo,

AFAIK, no one owns any patents on disposable email addresses. Since they're being used all over the place already -- and have been long before 3/03, no patent application could succeed at this point. You're not losing any money over it, so don't worry. :wink:

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of a spam email?

The purpose of a spam email is to gain access to personal information or to trick the recipient into clicking on a link or downloading a file that may contain malware.

2. How do spam emails end up in my anti-spam account?

Spam emails can end up in your anti-spam account if the sender's email address or domain has been flagged as a source of spam, or if the email contains certain keywords that are commonly used in spam messages.

3. Can spam emails be harmful to my computer?

Yes, spam emails can be harmful to your computer. They may contain viruses or malware that can damage your computer or steal personal information.

4. How can I prevent spam emails from reaching my anti-spam account?

You can prevent spam emails from reaching your anti-spam account by regularly updating your anti-spam filters and not opening emails from unknown senders or clicking on suspicious links.

5. What should I do if I accidentally open a spam email?

If you accidentally open a spam email, do not click on any links or download any attachments. Immediately delete the email and run a virus scan on your computer to ensure it has not been compromised.