Register to reply

Spam Free?

by Dagenais
Tags: free, spam
Share this thread:
Dagenais
Aug29-04, 01:54 AM
P: 396
My anti-spam Email account is suppose to be basically spam free.

However, today I received an Email which may have contained a virus and a message I could not read. My provider blocked both from my account. The title however was "I cannot forget you!"

The Email's domain contained the words:

HOUSE.IMSMAIL.SYSTEM09 @housemail.house.gov (without the space in the @)

So, how did they get a hold of my anti-spam Email account? I don't remember signing up for spam or any harmful Email.

I'm assuming the attachment contained a harmful program.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Crumbles
Aug29-04, 05:29 AM
P: 135
Some computer viruses spread through people's address books. So if someone who's infected with the virus has your email address in his address book, you risk being sent the virus too.
Teo1
Aug29-04, 02:25 PM
P: n/a
I wondered why phones don't ALL have a speaker phone option, so you could put it down and still talk...

Then realized that as much as we hate cell phones going off in public places, and how much some people ignore who is around and blab their whole life to all...

THANK GOD phones don't have that obvious and helpful feature...

There is some legal issue about opening someone's email, it is like opening their snail mail. I would have thought it could be nice big business to sell GUARAUNTEED SPAM FREE email, where someone would intercept and check against known spammers, but even to just read titles of someone's emails is probably illegal..

But isn't it funny, many people would pay.. like $50 a month to have truly spam-free email eh? Strange no one has made a way yet...

And disclaimers saying "I promise not to annoy people with my speaker phone" so that polite people can have THAT option eh?

It's not just watching out for your own driving, but the idiot drivers that is important!

chroot
Aug29-04, 02:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Spam Free?

I use Zoemail. In principle, it is absolutely spam-free, since it based on disposable addresses. If a spammer gets a hold of one, you just delete it and make a new one. No big whoop.

- Warren
dduardo
Aug29-04, 08:57 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Hey, they stole my idea!!!

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?p=1802#post1802

The company started in 2003. The exact year I posted the idea. I'm going to sue for prior art. AT&T patented technology my ***
The_Professional
Aug29-04, 09:28 PM
P: 583
Quote Quote by dduardo
Hey, they stole my idea!!!

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?p=1802#post1802

The company started in 2003. The exact year I posted the idea. I'm going to sue for prior art. AT&T patented technology my ***
Are you really going to sue them? It sounds difficult proving it. Good luck on fighting their battery of lawyers.
dduardo
Aug30-04, 05:49 AM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
I don't think I chance against AT&T lawyers, even though I did write my idea on paper and dated it 3/30/2003. What I should have done is mailed the paper to myself. O well, I'll have another great idea some other time.
chroot
Aug30-04, 01:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
dduardo,

AFAIK, no one owns any patents on disposable email addresses. Since they're being used all over the place already -- and have been long before 3/03, no patent application could succeed at this point. You're not losing any money over it, so don't worry.

- Warren

Register to reply