Emails/Forums Say My IP is X, Avast Says My IP is Y....How Possible?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: So while your private IP is not entirely private, it is not easily trackable or hackable as it is not accessible from outside your network.
kyphysics
In Gmail and Yahoo! Mail, my IP address is listed as X (not going to post it for obvious privacy reasons) when I search "recent activity" in my account settings. Various forums (where I can see it) also corroborate X.

However, when I use Avast Premium Security's WiFi Inspector, which scans my network, it says there are several devices logged into it. My laptop (only one of its kind) has an IP of Y (and none of the other devices have an IP of X).

How would it be possible that my anti-virus protection says my IP is one thing and other presumably trustworthy sources say it's something else?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You have a router which gives out one IP and since your computer and other devices are plugged into it or wirelessly connected to it they will have one IP address relative to the router network usually 192.168.xx.xx

Likes kyphysics and Vanadium 50
jedishrfu said:
You have a router which gives out one IP and since your computer and other devices are plugged into it or wirelessly connected to it they will have one IP address relative to the router network usually 192.168.xx.xx
192...is right...won't comment on the other part (for now).

Is taht some standard IP for ALL routers? How did you guess that right? If it's really all the same, does that open up easy tracking or hacking then? I thought people liked to keep IP private from others?

Likes jedishrfu
The 192.168 usage has been common to closed networks as far as I know. Hence its useless for tracking.

Your routers public IP is trackable though as a necessary feature of internet usage.

https://192-168-1-1ip.mobi/

Likes kyphysics and Vanadium 50
jedishrfu said:
The 192.168 usage has been common to closed networks as far as I know. Hence its useless for tracking.

192.168.x.x is one of the three ranges reserved for private networks. By design data sent from or to such an address does not travel over the internet. That's why your router has a different public-facing address assigned by your ISP.

Likes kyphysics

1. Why do emails or forums say my IP is different from what Avast says?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that your IP address is dynamic, meaning it changes periodically. Avast may have detected your IP at a different time than when you accessed the email or forum. Another reason could be that the email or forum is using a proxy server, which masks your actual IP and makes it appear different. Additionally, there could be errors in the IP detection process, leading to incorrect information being displayed.

2. Which source should I trust for my IP address - emails/forums or Avast?

It is generally recommended to trust Avast for your IP address as it is a security software specifically designed to detect and protect against online threats. However, if you are accessing a website or forum that uses a proxy server, then you may see a different IP address. In this case, you can trust the IP shown by the website or forum as it reflects your current location and network.

3. Can I change my IP address to match what Avast is showing?

No, you cannot manually change your IP address to match what Avast is showing. Your IP address is assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and is unique to your device and network. It can only be changed by your ISP or by using a proxy server.

4. Is it possible for my IP address to change frequently?

Yes, it is possible for your IP address to change frequently, especially if you have a dynamic IP. This means that your ISP assigns a different IP address each time you connect to the internet. Your IP address can also change if you switch to a different network, such as connecting to a public Wi-Fi or using a virtual private network (VPN).

5. Can my IP address affect my online security?

Yes, your IP address is an important factor in your online security. It serves as a unique identifier for your device and can be used to track your online activities. A compromised or leaked IP address can also make you vulnerable to cyber attacks. This is why it is important to use a reliable security software like Avast to protect your IP and maintain your online privacy.