Alpha-particle scattering experiment

In summary: The difference would be that the electric field would be weaker with silver so less deflection would be caused.
MA103
I'm stuck with these questions. Please help if you can.

In Rutherford's experiment, alpha-particles were directed at a thin gold foil. A small fraction of the alpha-particles were back-scattered. Explain how this result would be affected if each of the following changes was (separately) made.
a) A thicker foil was used
b) Higher-energy alpha-particles were used.
c)A silver foil was used - the atomic number is less than that of gold.

c) is fine, I can do that. But a) and b) I seriously need help.

For a) I can thick of two things ...

1) alpha particles will get absorbed. If 1) is right, why is this?

2) because alpha particles will encounter more nucleus of more atoms, there will be more deflected alpha-particles.

For b) I have no idea. I'm guessing there will be more deflection but can't explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) more back scattering
b) more particles getting through, less deflection

Hi, thanks but may I ask why for b)?

MA103 said:
I'm stuck with these questions. Please help if you can.

In Rutherford's experiment, alpha-particles were directed at a thin gold foil. A small fraction of the alpha-particles were back-scattered. Explain how this result would be affected if each of the following changes was (separately) made.
a) A thicker foil was used
b) Higher-energy alpha-particles were used.
c)A silver foil was used - the atomic number is less than that of gold.

c) is fine, I can do that. But a) and b) I seriously need help.

For a) I can thick of two things ...

1) alpha particles will get absorbed. If 1) is right, why is this?

2) because alpha particles will encounter more nucleus of more atoms, there will be more deflected alpha-particles.

For b) I have no idea. I'm guessing there will be more deflection but can't explain.

The [itex]\alpha[/itex]-particles undergo hyperbolic trajectories when they pass nearby the positively charged gold nuclei. Increasing the thickness of the foil increases the probability of an [itex]\alpha[/itex]-particle experiencing a close encounter with an Au nucleus resulting in greater deflection angles. Higher energy particles possesses a larger component of velocity perpendicular to the foil so I'd say the deflection angle is reduced. Silver has a lower molar mass than gold, the weaker electric field exerts a weaker coulombic force on the [itex]\alpha[/itex]-particles resulting in decreased deflection angles.

Thanks for good explanation. :smile:

I'm the other way round, a) and b) i could do but c) i need help with!
What difference would it make if a silver foil was used instead of a gold one?

1. How does the alpha-particle scattering experiment work?

The alpha-particle scattering experiment, also known as the Geiger-Marsden experiment, involves shooting alpha particles (helium nuclei) at a thin gold foil. The particles are emitted from a radioactive source and are directed towards a detector. The detector measures the number of alpha particles that pass through the foil and the angles at which they are scattered. By analyzing the scattering patterns, scientists can determine the structure of the atoms in the foil.

2. What was the significance of the alpha-particle scattering experiment?

The alpha-particle scattering experiment was significant because it provided evidence for the existence of a dense, positively charged nucleus within an atom. This contradicted the previously accepted model of the atom, which stated that the positive charge was distributed evenly throughout the atom. The experiment also helped to establish the concept of the nuclear model of the atom, which is still used today.

3. Who conducted the alpha-particle scattering experiment?

The alpha-particle scattering experiment was conducted by scientists Ernest Rutherford, Hans Geiger, and Ernest Marsden in 1909 at the University of Manchester. Rutherford oversaw the experiment and Geiger and Marsden carried out most of the experimental work.

4. What were the results of the alpha-particle scattering experiment?

The results of the alpha-particle scattering experiment showed that most of the alpha particles passed straight through the gold foil, while a small percentage were scattered at different angles. This indicated that most of the atom's mass and positive charge is concentrated in a small, dense nucleus at the center of the atom. This discovery revolutionized the understanding of the structure of atoms.

5. How did the alpha-particle scattering experiment contribute to the development of atomic theory?

The alpha-particle scattering experiment provided the first experimental evidence for the existence of a nucleus within an atom. This led to the development of the nuclear model of the atom, which is still used today. The experiment also disproved the previously accepted model of the atom and helped to establish the idea that atoms are mostly empty space, with the nucleus at the center and electrons orbiting around it.