Alpha Particle Scattering and angular momentum

In summary, the problem is asking for the direction of angular momentum L to be conserved for a central force, but the solution is just the direction of L.
brotherbobby
Statement of the problem :

"Using the definition L = r ##\times## p, prove that the direction of L is constant for an alpha (##\alpha##) particle whose scattering is shown in the diagram below. "

alpha.png

Relevant equations :

We are aware that the scattering takes place via a central force F = F(r) ##\hat r##. Angular momentum L = r ##\times## p and torque ##\tau = r \times F## (all vectors)The attempt at a solution

I can solve the problem, but not the way it asks. The torque ##\tau = r \times F \Rightarrow \tau = 0## since the force is central : F = F(r) ##\hat r##. Using ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt} = 0##, inplies that the angular momentum vector L is constant.

[This is not what the question asks for. It asks to show only the direction of L conserved, from the definition of L : L = r ##\times## p].

Attachments

• alpha.png
    alpha.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Physics news on Phys.org
If the vector itself is constant, then its direction must be conserved too ...

Also, where do you think ##\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F## comes from? :rolleyes:

Orodruin said:
If the vector itself is constant, then its direction must be conserved too ...
Yes, in that sense I have answered the question, but as I said, not in the way they asked for. I suppose they want one to focus on the direction of L and show that it remains the same.
Orodruin said:
Also, where do you think →τ=→r×→Fτ→=r→×F→\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F comes from?
I don't know. Torque and angular momentum are definitions, defined as the cross product of the radius vector and the force or the linear momentum, respectively.

brotherbobby said:
Torque and angular momentum are definitions, defined as the cross product of the radius vector and the force or the linear momentum, respectively.
So you need to relate those two, which you are going to do by computing the time derivative of the angular momentum.

Orodruin said:
So you need to relate those two, which you are going to do by computing the time derivative of the angular momentum.
All I am aware of is the standard : ##\frac{dL}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(r \times p) = r \times \frac{dp}{dt} = r \times F##.

It is this that I used to answer why the angular momentum L is constant - viz. the thrque is 0 owing to the fact that the force is central and hence L remains the same.

But the question asks me to show that the direction of L is a constant for a central force like this. (I am aware that I have already shown this in the form of the vector L itself being a constant).

I wonder if there is another way.

For instance, a vector L = ##L\hat L##. Can we show that ##\hat L## is a constant from the definition of L ( = ##r \times p##) for a central force (F(r))?

Related to Alpha Particle Scattering and angular momentum

1. What is alpha particle scattering?

Alpha particle scattering is a phenomenon in which alpha particles, which are positively charged particles, are scattered when they come into contact with a target material. This scattering occurs due to the Coulomb force between the positively charged alpha particles and the positively charged nucleus of the target material.

2. What is the significance of alpha particle scattering in understanding the structure of an atom?

Alpha particle scattering played a crucial role in the development of the nuclear model of an atom. The famous Geiger-Marsden experiment, also known as the gold foil experiment, showed that most of the alpha particles passed through the gold foil without deflection, indicating that an atom is mostly empty space. However, a small percentage of alpha particles were deflected at large angles, suggesting the presence of a tiny, positively charged nucleus at the center of an atom.

3. How does angular momentum affect alpha particle scattering?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of a particle around an axis. In the case of alpha particle scattering, the angular momentum of the alpha particle affects the deflection angle after it interacts with the target material. A higher angular momentum will result in a larger deflection angle, while a lower angular momentum will result in a smaller deflection angle.

4. What is the relationship between the impact parameter and the scattering angle in alpha particle scattering?

The impact parameter is the distance between the alpha particle's initial trajectory and the center of the target material. The scattering angle is the angle at which the alpha particle is deflected after interacting with the target material. The relationship between the two is inversely proportional, meaning that a smaller impact parameter will result in a larger scattering angle and vice versa.

5. What is the role of energy in alpha particle scattering?

The energy of the alpha particle plays a significant role in determining the scattering angle. Higher energy particles will have a greater impact on the target material, resulting in larger deflection angles. Additionally, the energy of the alpha particle can be used to calculate the distance between the alpha particle and the nucleus of the target material, which is essential in understanding the structure of an atom.