Why do alpha particles experience large angle deflections?

In summary: Thanks for the explanation, it was helpful. In summary, the alpha particle experiences Coulomb repulsion and this leads to large angle deflections.
zincsulphide

Homework Statement

I would like to understand why alpha particles experience large angle deflections and if this is the same thing as recoil of alpha particles? Do large angle deflections occur near the end of the alpha particle track or can they occur at any point along the trajectory?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that large angle deflections occur due to Coulomb repulsion from a positively charged nucleus in the absorbing medium. I think that the term "recoil" means the same thing and deflections can occur at any point on the trajectory, but I am not sure...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Recoil is what the nucleus experiences that emits the alpha particle.
zincsulphide said:
I think that large angle deflections occur due to Coulomb repulsion from a positively charged nucleus in the absorbing medium.
Right.

zincsulphide said:

Homework Statement

I would like to understand why alpha particles experience large angle deflections and if this is the same thing as recoil of alpha particles? Do large angle deflections occur near the end of the alpha particle track or can they occur at any point along the trajectory?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that large angle deflections occur due to Coulomb repulsion from a positively charged nucleus in the absorbing medium. I think that the term "recoil" means the same thing and deflections can occur at any point on the trajectory, but I am not sure...
The Coulomb repulsion explains why the collision between the alpha particle and a nucleus is elastic - i.e. the particles deflect away from each other. But the large angle deflections are the result of their relative masses. If an alpha particle were to collide with another alpha particle, the angle between the directions of the two alpha particles after collision would be 90°. It is because the incident alpha particle is less massive than the nucleus that it collides with (gold, in the case of the Rutherford experiment) that the alpha particles deflect at angles larger than 90 degrees.

Welcome to PF, by the way!

AM

Last edited:

1. Why do alpha particles experience large angle deflections?

Alpha particles experience large angle deflections because they have a high charge and mass compared to other particles. This makes them more likely to interact with the strong electromagnetic forces of the nucleus, causing them to be deflected at large angles.

2. What causes alpha particles to deflect at large angles?

The large angle deflections of alpha particles are caused by their interaction with the strong electromagnetic forces of the nucleus. These forces are due to the high charge and mass of the alpha particles, which make them more likely to be affected by the nucleus.

3. How do alpha particles interact with the nucleus to cause large angle deflections?

Alpha particles interact with the nucleus through the strong electromagnetic forces. These forces act between the positively charged alpha particle and the positively charged protons in the nucleus, causing the particle to be deflected at large angles.

4. Are there any other factors that contribute to the large angle deflections of alpha particles?

In addition to the high charge and mass of alpha particles, other factors that can contribute to their large angle deflections include the speed and energy of the particles, as well as the density and composition of the material they are passing through.

5. Why do alpha particles experience larger deflections than other particles?

Alpha particles experience larger deflections than other particles because of their high charge and mass, as well as their relatively low speed compared to other particles. These factors make them more likely to interact with the strong electromagnetic forces of the nucleus, resulting in larger deflections.