Calculate the kinetic energy of two alpha particles

In summary, if lithium-7 captures a proton, it will divide into two alpha particles. To calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha particles, you can use the equation 3Li7 + 1H1 → 2He4 + 2He4 and add the rest masses of both sides of the equation. The difference is the energy, which will be the kinetic energy of the two alpha particles. This calculation can be done assuming no gamma rays are emitted.
emmadun
if lithium 7 3 captures proton, it is divided into two alpha particles. Calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha particles. the proton energy can be neglected and the mass of the nucleus of Li is 7,01601u.
I only know how to write the equation: 3Li7 + 1H1 → 2He4 + 2He4

Can anyone help me? How do i calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha particles??
p.s sorry I am a beginner in physics and I am trying really hard to solve these kind of problems.

Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical forums so now Homework Template is shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple solution: Add the rest masses of both sides of the equation. The difference is then energy. Assuming no gamma rays, the energy becomes kinetic energy of the two alpha particles.

Likes emmadun
AH THANK YOU! you saved me

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of two alpha particles?

The kinetic energy of two alpha particles can be calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the alpha particle and v is its velocity.

2. What is the mass of an alpha particle?

An alpha particle has a mass of approximately 4 atomic mass units (amu), which is equivalent to 6.64 x 10^-27 kilograms.

3. What is the velocity of an alpha particle?

The velocity of an alpha particle can vary, but it is typically around 5% of the speed of light, which is approximately 1.5 x 10^7 meters per second.

4. Why is it important to calculate the kinetic energy of alpha particles?

Calculating the kinetic energy of alpha particles is important because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of these particles in various situations, such as in nuclear reactions or radiation therapy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of two alpha particles be added together?

Yes, the kinetic energy of two alpha particles can be added together if they are moving in the same direction and have the same velocity. This is known as conservation of energy and is a fundamental principle in physics.