Free fall acceleration flowerpot problem

In summary: Remember that the distance between the windowsill and the top of the window was defined as -u. So the value of u will be negative, which means that the top of the window is below the windowsill by a distance of positive u. So you would report the distance as a positive value.)In summary, the top of the window below the windowsill is 0.31 m away from the windowsill.
COCoNuT
A flowerpot falls off a windowsill and falls past the window below. You may ignore air resistance. It takes time 0.420 s to pass this window, which is of height 1.90 m.

Question- How far is the top of the window below the windowsill from which the flowerpot fell? Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80m/s^2 .

given:
t = 0.420s
h = 1.90m

using the position formula

x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
x(t) - x(0) = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2
1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2
v(0) = 6.59m/s

vf^2 - v(0)^2 = 2gh <--- now using this formula...
(6.582)^2 - 0 -2(-9.8)h
h = (6.582)^2/(9.8^2)

h = 2.21m

my answer is 2.21m, but it's wrong. i know I am close, can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u be the distance between the windowsill and the top of the window. If you set the windowsill at y=0, then use the formula [tex]y=y_0-v_0t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]. We have y0=0 by our reference point and v0=0 since the flowerpot falls. Therefore:

[tex]y=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]-1.9-u=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]u=\frac{1}{2}gt^2-1.9[/tex]

Last edited:
consistent sign convention!

COCoNuT said:
using the position formula

x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
x(t) - x(0) = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2
1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2
v(0) = 6.59m/s
Your thinking is correct, but you are not using a consistent sign convention. Since you are taking the acceleration to be -9.8 m/s^2, that means you chose down as negative, up as positive. But you weren't consistent. x(t) - x(0) = -1.9 (since the change in position is negative), which makes the equation:
-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2; solve this one for v(0). (And realize that v(0) will, of course, be negative!)

vf^2 - v(0)^2 = 2gh <--- now using this formula...
(6.582)^2 - 0 -2(-9.8)h
h = (6.582)^2/(9.8^2)
Of course, you need to plug in the new, correct value for v(0). But use that same sign convention. Note that a is negative, so h will turn out to be negative. Which makes sense in your sign convention, since the top of the window is below the starting point.

FYI: No one says you must choose down to be negative. You could call down positive, in which case a = +9.8 m/s^2, etc. Just be consistent and you'll do fine.

Doc Al said:
Your thinking is correct, but you are not using a consistent sign convention. Since you are taking the acceleration to be -9.8 m/s^2, that means you chose down as negative, up as positive. But you weren't consistent. x(t) - x(0) = -1.9 (since the change in position is negative), which makes the equation:
-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2; solve this one for v(0). (And realize that v(0) will, of course, be negative!)

Of course, you need to plug in the new, correct value for v(0). But use that same sign convention. Note that a is negative, so h will turn out to be negative. Which makes sense in your sign convention, since the top of the window is below the starting point.

FYI: No one says you must choose down to be negative. You could call down positive, in which case a = +9.8 m/s^2, etc. Just be consistent and you'll do fine.

coconut, i have the same problem as you(with different numbers), are you doing your homework on mp also?

-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2 after solving this for v(0) i get -2.46m/s

(-2.46)^2 =2(-9.8)h
h = -.308m
does that look right? seems incorrect to me

Last edited:
If the flowerpot is just falling from rest and not being thrown or propelled downwards, then v0 will equal zero.

bullet_ballet said:
If the flowerpot is just falling from rest and not being thrown or propelled downwards, then v0 will equal zero.

didnt i set v(0) to zero for the second equation?

can someone tell me if h = -.308m is correct?

Using the equations in my first post, I get 1.03m as the distance between the sill and the window.

bullet_ballet said:
Using the equations in my first post, I get 1.03m as the distance between the sill and the window.

yea i did use that equation,

-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2

solved for v and plugged it into

vf^2 - v(0)^2 = 2gh

dont know why i get a different answer

i even used your formula and get -2.764

CellCoree said:
yea i did use that equation,

-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2

solved for v and plugged it into

vf^2 - v(0)^2 = 2gh

dont know why i get a different answer

i even used your formula and get -2.764

My bad. I had the wrong signs in there. Since I set y=0 at the windowsill, all values should be negative. Therefore, if -y is the distance to the bottom of the window from the windowsill, it should be broken up into -u-1.9 where u is defined as before. Therefore, [tex]-u-1.9=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]. I made the chages to the above equations as well.

CellCoree said:
-1.9 = v(0)(0.42) - 4.9(0.42)^2 after solving this for v(0) i get -2.46m/s

(-2.46)^2 =2(-9.8)h
h = -.308m
does that look right? seems incorrect to me
Looks good to me. Be sure to reword it so you answer the exact question that was in the original problem. The question asked "How far is the top of the window below the windowsill from which the flowerpot fell?"--so I would say the answer is 0.31 m.

1. What is the free fall acceleration flowerpot problem?

The free fall acceleration flowerpot problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of a flowerpot as it falls from a certain height. It is a common example used to understand the concept of free fall acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a flowerpot in free fall?

The acceleration of a flowerpot in free fall can be calculated using the equation a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth. This means that the acceleration of the flowerpot will be 9.8 m/s² towards the ground.

3. What factors affect the free fall acceleration of a flowerpot?

The free fall acceleration of a flowerpot is affected by the mass of the flowerpot and the acceleration due to gravity, which is dependent on the location and altitude. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the acceleration.

4. How does the height of the flowerpot affect its free fall acceleration?

The height of the flowerpot does not affect its free fall acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity remains constant regardless of the height, as long as the height is not significant enough to change the distance between the flowerpot and the surface of the Earth.

5. Can the free fall acceleration flowerpot problem be applied to objects other than flowerpots?

Yes, the free fall acceleration problem can be applied to any object that is falling towards the ground in the absence of air resistance. The acceleration due to gravity is a universal constant and applies to all objects equally, regardless of their mass or shape.