How High Above the Window Was the Flowerpot When It Fell?

In summary: In that case, you'd have V=0 at start and it would oscillate back and forth between V=0 and V=1.90.I can see two ways to do this. There's the conventional way. In that case, you'd definitely have ##T=0## at start.There's another way to do it, where ##T = 0## where...the pot starts. In that case, you'd have V=0 at start and it would oscillate back and forth between V=0 and V=1.90.
David112234

Homework Statement

A flowerpot falls off a windowsill and falls past the window below. You may ignore air resistance. It takes the pot 0.420 s to pass from the top to the bottom of this window, which is 1.90 m high.

Part A
How far is the top of the window below the windowsill from which the flowerpot fell?

Homework Equations

all kinematic equations
V=V_i + at^2
x=x_i + v_i(t) + .5 a(t)^2
V^2=V_i^2 + 2a (x-x_i)
x-x_i = (V_i + Vx)(t)(.5)

note, _i means initial

a= -9.802

The Attempt at a Solution

my free body diagram

|
|
|_ x=1.90 + u V=0
|
|
|_ x=1.90 V=? T=0
|
|
|
|
|_ x= 0 V=? T= .420

I tried the second formula for final X position to find V at T=0

0= 1.90+V? (0) + (.5)(-9.802)(0)^2
and I get
0=1.90 which is not correct
I can't use any any other formulas because I don't have the variables
what am I supposed to do, 1.90 is not the correct answer as I tried.
aslo I know someone else posted the same question from mastering physics, but I did not understand it well and I wouldl ike ot start from scratch

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow/agree with your drawing. The pot starts on a windowsill and falls an unknown distance until it reaches the top of another window. It then falls another 1.9m in 0.42 seconds.

The pot passes the top of the window at some unknown "initial velocity". What equation can be used to find this initial velocity given the displacement (1.9m), the time (0.42) and the acceleration?

Then there is another equation that can be used to work out the answer to the problem.

CWatters said:
I don't follow/agree with your drawing. The pot starts on a windowsill and falls an unknown distance until it reaches the top of another window. It then falls another 1.9m in 0.42 seconds.

The pot passes the top of the window at some unknown "initial velocity". What equation can be used to find this initial velocity given the displacement (1.9m), the time (0.42) and the acceleration?

Then there is another equation that can be used to work out the answer to the problem.
Why do you disagree with my diagram? I chose the bottom of the lower window as 0, going up from that is 1.90, the height of the window, and higher is the height of the window + what ever distance is between them, U.
For V, it is 0 when the pot is standing on the upper window, when it falls its Velocity is unknown
And for T is it took .420 seconds to fall the height of the window then T=0 is when it starts falling that distance

and for the formula, the second kinematics equation, I tried it and it didn't work out,

I tried the second formula for final X position to find V at T=0

0= 1.90+V? (0) + (.5)(-9.802)(0)^2
and I get
0=1.90 which is not correct

did I plug in the wrong values?

David112234 said:
Why do you disagree with my diagram? I chose the bottom of the lower window as 0, going up from that is 1.90

Given that the flower pot started at the first window and is falling downwards, it's illogical to choose 0 as the bottom of the second window. You ought to choose 0 where the flowerpot started. Otherwise, you're liable to get your equations and variables mixed up!

PeroK said:
Given that the flower pot started at the first window and is falling downwards, it's illogical to choose 0 as the bottom of the second window. You ought to choose 0 where the flowerpot started. Otherwise, you're liable to get your equations and variables mixed up!

shouldnt the problem still work out? only the negatives will change

David112234 said:
shouldnt the problem still work out? only the negatives will change

I would make life as easy as possible. It hasn't worked out. I always follow these principles:

1) Understand the problem.

2) Set things up as simply as possible.

3) Solve.

I would definitely set ##x = 0## where the object starts and have all motion and accleration positive in the downward direction.

PeroK said:
I would make life as easy as possible. It hasn't worked out. I always follow these principles:

1) Understand the problem.

2) Set things up as simply as possible.

3) Solve.

I would definitely set ##x = 0## where the object starts and have all motion and accleration positive in the downward direction.

|
|
|_ x=0 V=0
|
|
|_ x=? V=? T=0
|
|
|
|
|_ x= 1.90 V=? T= .420

like this?

David112234 said:
|
|
|_ x=0 V=0
|
|
|_ x=? V=? T=0
|
|
|
|
|_ x= 1.90 V=? T= .420

like this?

I can see two ways to do this. There's the conventional way. In that case, you'd definitely have ##T=0## at start.

There's another way to do it, where ##T = 0## where you have it would work.

Also, question marks are not much use. Instead use symbols for the unknowns, so you can use them in equations.

I would have:

##x = 0, T = 0, V = 0##

##x = d, T = t_1, V = v_1##

##x = d + 1.9, T = t_1 + 0.42, V = v_2##

PeroK said:
I can see two ways to do this. There's the conventional way. In that case, you'd definitely have ##T=0## at start.

There's another way to do it, where ##T = 0## where you have it would work.

Also, question marks are not much use. Instead use symbols for the unknowns, so you can use them in equations.

I would have:

##x = 0, T = 0, V = 0##

##x = d, T = t_1, V = v_1##

##x = d + 1.9, T = t_1 + 0.42, V = v_2##

alright, Il use that, so now use a formula to solve for d? but there is too many variables to be able to solve for it

Your original diagram has x=190 in two places. That's why I thought it wrong. Please read my post #2 again. There are enough known variables to solve it.

Oh sorry I see you have x=190+u at the top. My mistake you diagram was OK. But still see the rest of #2

Perhaps remind yourself of the SUVAT equations?

CWatters said:
Perhaps remind yourself of the SUVAT equations?
I tried your suggestion, it does not help since the T is 0, or should I use t= .420?

Last edited:
David112234 said:
I tried your suggestion, it does not help since the T is 0, or should I use t= .420?
Also what are SUVAT equations? I don't recognize it, perhaps I did not learn it

Ok so I tried it with .420 as the Time, and got initial V to be -2.465 , can you confirm?

so I did it out and got u = 25.6, ,now what?

David112234 said:
so I did it out and got u = 25.6, ,now what?

That number is way too high. How did you calculate that?

In your OP you wrote..

David112234 said:
x=x_i + v_i(t) + .5 a(t)^2

That equation comes from the equation of motion..

r = r0 + v0t + 0.5at2

or the SUVAT notation

s = ut + 0.5at2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

It can be applied to any part of the motion on it's own. For example if you apply it to the bit where it goes past the window you can calculate the velocity at the top of the window.

Related to How High Above the Window Was the Flowerpot When It Fell?

What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a straight line, without considering the causes of the motion.

What are the basic equations used in 1D Kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1D Kinematics are:
- Velocity (v) = Displacement (d) / Time (t)
- Acceleration (a) = Change in Velocity (Δv) / Time (t)
- Displacement (d) = Initial Velocity (v0) * Time (t) + 1/2 * Acceleration (a) * Time (t)^2

How is 1D Kinematics different from 2D or 3D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics only considers motion along a single straight line, while 2D and 3D Kinematics deal with motion in two or three dimensions. This means that 1D Kinematics does not take into account the direction of motion, only the magnitude.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in 1D Kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity and refers to the rate at which an object is moving. Velocity is a vector quantity and includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

How do you calculate acceleration in 1D Kinematics?

To calculate acceleration in 1D Kinematics, you can use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, you can use the equation a = Δv / t, where Δv is the change in velocity and t is the time interval.