Free Falling Object: Calc. d = 19.6m in 1s

In summary: This is clearly impossible.In summary, using the given values of v1 = 0 m/s, a = 9.8 m/s, and t = 1sec, the total distance travelled by the object can be calculated using the formula d = v1t + 1/2at^2, resulting in a total distance of 19.6 m. This is the correct answer and any other answer, such as 274m, is impossible.
Mid
Homework Statement
A free falling object starts from rest and travels a quarter of its full distance in one second. solve for how far the object falls in total?
Relevant Equations
gravity (9.8 m/s), motion formulas
v1 = 0 m/s
a = 9.8 m/s
t = 1sec
d = ?

d = v1t + 1/2at^2
d = 4.9 m
total distance = 4.9*4
= 19.6 m
thats what i was doing but i think I am wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Mid,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

Mid said:
Homework Statement: A free falling object starts from rest and travels a quarter of its full distance in one second. solve for how far the object falls in total?
Homework Equations: gravity (9.8 m/s), motion formulas

v1 = 0 m/s
a = 9.8 m/s
t = 1sec
d = ?

d = v1t + 1/2at^2
d = 4.9 m
total distance = 4.9*4
= 19.6 m
I'll agree with that. :smile:

thats what i was doing but i think I am wrong
What makes you think you're wrong?

collinsmark said:
Hello @Mid,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:I'll agree with that. :smile:What makes you think you're wrong?
I'm in grade 12 and this question was directly taken from 1st year university physics and my teacher said the answer isn't that simple to get and students in my class got the answer to be around 274 m

Mid said:
I'm in grade 12 and this question was directly taken from 1st year university physics and my teacher said the answer isn't that simple to get and students in my class got the answer to be around 274 m
The answer is quite simple if you approach the problem logically, as you have done.

274m cannot possible be correct, as the object would have to fall 68.5m in the first second.

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance of a free falling object?

The formula for calculating the distance (d) of a free falling object is d = 0.5 * g * t2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time in seconds.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, represented as g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. What is the value of d if a free falling object falls for 1 second?

If a free falling object falls for 1 second, the value of d can be calculated by substituting 1 for t in the formula d = 0.5 * g * t2. Therefore, d = 0.5 * 9.8 * 12 = 4.9 meters.

4. How does air resistance affect the distance of a free falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant effect on the distance of a free falling object. As the object falls, it will experience a force that is opposite to its motion due to air resistance. This force will decrease the acceleration of the object, causing it to fall slower and cover a shorter distance.

5. Does the mass of a free falling object affect its acceleration and distance?

No, the mass of a free falling object does not affect its acceleration and distance. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant, regardless of the mass of the object. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force due to gravity, resulting in a greater impact upon reaching the ground.