Plane determined by intersecting lines

In summary, you need to find the normal vector to the plane determined by the lines x= 2t+ 1, y= 3t+ 2, and z= 4t+ 3.
tasc71

Homework Statement

Find the point of intersection of the lines: x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3, and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1, and then find the plane determined by these lines.

Homework Equations

How do i find the plane determined by these lines?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive read through the text, and i figured out the first part about where they intersect:
v=<2,3,4>
Pt. A=(1,2,3)
2(x-1)+3(y-2)+4(z-3)=0
2x+3y+4z=20
then i substituted the 2nd parametric equation into the x,y,z variables and solved for s.
s=-1
then i plugged s=-1 back into the parametric equation to find x,y,z for intersection
the equations intersect at (1,2,3)

Now I'm stuck...how do i find the planes determined by these lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
tasc71 said:

Homework Statement

Find the point of intersection of the lines: x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3, and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1, and then find the plane determined by these lines.

Homework Equations

How do i find the plane determined by these lines?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive read through the text, and i figured out the first part about where they intersect:
v=<2,3,4>
Pt. A=(1,2,3)
The equations of your lines are x= 2t+ 1, y= 3t+ 2, and z= 4t+ 3. If x= 2t+ 1= 1, then t= 0 so y= 2 and z= 3. Also x= s+ 2= 1 for s= -1 and then y= 2(-1)+ 4= 2, z= -4(-1)- 1= 3. Yes, the two lines intersect at that point.

But v = <2, 3, 4> is a vector pointing in the direction of the first line- it is NOT perpendicular to the plane which is what you need. (In fact, since the lines lie in the plane, <2, 3, 4> is a vector in the plane, not perpendicular to it.)

2(x-1)+3(y-2)+4(z-3)=0
2x+3y+4z=20
then i substituted the 2nd parametric equation into the x,y,z variables and solved for s.
s=-1
then i plugged s=-1 back into the parametric equation to find x,y,z for intersection
the equations intersect at (1,2,3)

Now I'm stuck...how do i find the planes determined by these lines?
The coefficients in the parametric equations give vectors <2, 3, 4> and <1, 2, -4> which point in the directions the lines and so are two vectors in the plane. You want a vector perpendicular (normal) to the plane. Take the cross product of those two vectors.

The standard equation for a plane is [tex] a(x - x_0) + b(y - y_0) + c(z - z_0) = 0, [/tex] where [tex] \vec{n} = <a, b, c> [/tex] is the normal vector to the plane. Now, if you know two vectors (the direction vectors of your 2 lines) that are already on the plane, can you think of any operation between two vectors that gives you a normal vector (thus giving you a normal vector to your plane)? Can you get the rest?

Likes NUR AFZA
darn you HallsofIvy!...beat me by a minute :P

Great! Thanks a lot guys!

What is a plane determined by intersecting lines?

A plane determined by intersecting lines is a two-dimensional flat surface that is created by the intersection of two or more straight lines in three-dimensional space. It extends infinitely in all directions and can be visualized as a flat sheet of paper.

How many lines are needed to determine a plane?

At least two non-parallel lines are needed to determine a plane. If two lines are parallel, they will never intersect and therefore cannot determine a plane. For a unique plane, at least three non-collinear lines are needed.

What is the relationship between the intersecting lines and the plane they determine?

The intersecting lines are contained within the plane they determine. This means that every point on the lines is also a point on the plane, and every point on the plane can be represented by the intersection of the lines.

Can a plane be determined by three or more parallel lines?

No, a plane cannot be determined by three or more parallel lines. This is because parallel lines never intersect and therefore cannot define a unique plane. However, they can define a space that is parallel to the plane.

How can you determine the equation of a plane determined by intersecting lines?

The equation of a plane determined by intersecting lines can be found by solving a system of equations. The equations of the intersecting lines can be written in slope-intercept or point-slope form, and then solved simultaneously to find the point of intersection. This point, along with the direction vectors of the lines, can be used to construct the equation of the plane in either Cartesian or vector form.