Double Integral
Triple Integral
Cylindrical coordinate
Spherical coordinate
1699762071546.png

My attempt:
The shape of the hyperboloid would be like this:
1699762162792.png

If the hyperbolod is cut by plane z = d, the intersection would be a ellipse. Projecting the intersection to xy - plane, I think I get:
$$-2\leq x \leq 2$$
$$-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} \leq y \leq b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}$$

So the volume would be:
$$V=2 \times \int_{-2}^{2} \int_{-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}} \left(c\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}-1}\right)dydx$$

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Projecting the intersection to xy - plane, I think I get:
$$-2\leq x \leq 2$$
Where did the 2 come from? This seems entirely random to me.

songoku said:
$$-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} \leq y \leq b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}$$
For example, what happens here if ##a = 0.1## and ##x=2##?

songoku said:
So the volume would be:
$$V=2 \times \int_{-2}^{2} \int_{-b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}} \left(c\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}-1}\right)dydx$$
This cannot be right. For example, think about what happens to the integrand when ##x=y=0##.

songoku said:
Is this correct?
No. I would suggest a different approach entirely. You seem to want to integrate the z value over the relevant x-y region but this is unnecessarily difficult. For example, inside the ellipse ##(x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2=1##, the height of the desired region is ##2d##. Outside of that region it is given by a different expession.

Likes songoku
I would use scaled cylindrical coordinates [itex](r, \theta, \zeta)[/itex], where [tex]\begin{split}
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
z &= c\zeta. \end{split}[/tex]

Likes songoku
Where do you get ##-2\leqslant x\leqslant 2##?

Putting ##z=0## we see that the shape is an ellipse. So we are stacking "elliptical cylinders" on top of each other. Figure out how the volume of each such cylinder changes based on ##0\leqslant z\leqslant d## and then integrate.

Fix ##z## and note that
[tex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 + \frac{z^2}{c^2} \Leftrightarrow \frac{x^2}{a(z)^2} + \frac{y^2}{b(z)^2} = 1,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
a(z)^2 = a^2 \frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}\quad\mbox{and}\quad b(z)^2 = b^2\frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}.
[/tex]
Area of ellipse is ##\pi ab##.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
pasmith said:
I would use scaled cylindrical coordinates [itex](r, \theta, \zeta)[/itex], where [tex]\begin{split}
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
I would just sum up the volumes of infinitesimally thick elliptical discs … aka slicing method

Likes songoku and SammyS
pasmith said:
x &= ar\cos \theta, \\
y &= br\sin \theta, \\
Sorry I don't think I have covered scaled cylindrical coordinates. Should it be taught in the same part as cylindrical coordinates or in different part?

Orodruin said:
Where did the 2 come from? This seems entirely random to me.
nuuskur said:
Where do you get ##-2\leqslant x\leqslant 2##?
My bad. It should be: ##-a\leq x \leq a##

Orodruin said:
For example, what happens here if ##a = 0.1## and ##x=2##?This cannot be right. For example, think about what happens to the integrand when ##x=y=0##.
It would be imaginary.

Orodruin said:
You seem to want to integrate the z value over the relevant x-y region but this is unnecessarily difficult. For example, inside the ellipse ##(x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2=1##, the height of the desired region is ##2d##. Outside of that region it is given by a different expession.
Yes you are correct, that was my idea o:)

nuuskur said:
Putting ##z=0## we see that the shape is an ellipse. So we are stacking "elliptical cylinders" on top of each other. Figure out how the volume of each such cylinder changes based on ##0\leqslant z\leqslant d## and then integrate.
Orodruin said:
I would just sum up the volumes of infinitesimally thick elliptical discs … aka slicing method
I can imagine the slicing and stacking part, so based on this hint I am imagining the integral would be something like this:
$$V=2\times \int_{0}^{d}f(z) dz$$

where ##f(z)## is the expression of the slice of ellipse being stacked upon. But I am struggling to find the appropriate expression for ##f(z)##

nuuskur said:
Fix ##z## and note that
[tex]
\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 + \frac{z^2}{c^2} \Leftrightarrow \frac{x^2}{a(z)^2} + \frac{y^2}{b(z)^2} = 1,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
a(z)^2 = a^2 \frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}\quad\mbox{and}\quad b(z)^2 = b^2\frac{c^2+z^2}{c^2}.
[/tex]
Area of ellipse is ##\pi ab##.

I can follow the algebra but sorry I don't understand how to apply this to the question. Should I make z the subject of the equation (since I want to find ##f(z)##)?

Thanks

What is the volume of a cylinder with height ##dz## and base area ##A(z)##?

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
What is the volume of a cylinder with height ##dz## and base area ##A(z)##?
##A(z) dz##

Likes nuuskur
songoku said:
My bad. It should be: ##-a\leq x \leq a##
This cannot be correct. The permitted values of ##x## change based on ##z## - consider the graph. ##a## is just some fixed number, it does not depend on ##z##.
songoku said:
It would be imaginary.
Stay within ##\mathbb R^3##. There is no reason to overcomplicate.
songoku said:
I can imagine the slicing and stacking part, so based on this hint I am imagining the integral would be something like this:
$$V=2\times \int_{0}^{d}f(z) dz$$
Yes!
songoku said:
where ##f(z)## is the expression of the slice of ellipse being stacked upon. But I am struggling to find the appropriate expression for ##f(z)##
It is the area of the ellipse for a fixed value of ##z##.

Likes songoku
nuuskur said:
This cannot be correct. The permitted values of x change based on z - consider the graph. a is just some fixed number, it does not depend on z.
Consider what the OP was trying to do here. They were trying to write an xy-integral of the height of the object. As such, the dependent variable would be z and not x or y. The conclusion was still incorrect, but the x-range cannot depend on z because in OP’s approach it is the other way around. (The x-range does however depend on ##d##)

nuuskur said:
Stay within R3. There is no reason to overcomplicate.
That comment from the OP was a reply to my comment regarding what happened to the OP’s expression in a particular case. In that case, yes, the integrand became imaginary so it was a correct conclusion regarding the integrand. The following conclusion should be that the expression could not be correct as the volume is not complex.

songoku said:
##A(z) dz##
Indeed, so when you sum up those volumes you obtain the full volume
$$
V = \int_{-d}^d A(z) dz.
$$
What is the function ##A(z)## expressed as?

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:

But how do you calculate the area of an ellipse? :wink:

Likes songoku
pasmith said:
But how do you calculate the area of an ellipse? :wink:
Scaling the expression for the area of a circle of unit radius 😛

Likes songoku
nuuskur said:
It is the area of the ellipse for a fixed value of ##z##.
Orodruin said:
Scaling the expression for the area of a circle of unit radius 😛

Taking a fix value of ##z## to be ##k##, the equation becomes:
$$\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1+\frac{k^2}{c^2}$$
$$\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=\frac{c^2+k^2}{c^2}$$
$$\frac{x^2}{\frac{a^2(c^2+k^2)}{c^2}}+\frac{y^2}{\frac{b^2(c^2+k^2)}{c^2}}=1$$
$$\frac{x^2}{\left(\frac{a}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)^2}+\frac{y^2}{\left(\frac{b}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)^2}$$

The area is ##\pi \left(\frac{a}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)\left(\frac{b}{c}\sqrt{c^2+k^2}\right)=\pi\frac{ab}{c^2}(c^2+k^2)##

So my integrand maybe would be: ##\pi\frac{ab}{c^2}(c^2+z^2)##

Is this correct? Thanks

Likes nuuskur
Missing an ##..=1## for the last centered expression. Otherwise, yes, ##2\int _0^d A(z)dz##, where ##A(z)## is the quantity you calculated, is a correct way to obtain the volume.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation Orodruin, pasmith, nuuskur

1. How do you find the volume bounded by a hyperboloid and a plane?

To find the volume bounded by a hyperboloid and a plane, you first need to set up the integral using triple integration. This involves finding the limits of integration for each variable, determining the appropriate order of integration, and then evaluating the integral to find the volume.

2. What is a hyperboloid?

A hyperboloid is a quadric surface that can be represented by the equation x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 - z^2/c^2 = 1. It consists of two separate pieces, known as the hyperboloid of one sheet and the hyperboloid of two sheets, depending on the signs of the coefficients in the equation.

3. Why is it important to consider the plane z = ± d in finding the volume?

The plane z = ± d serves as the boundary that limits the region of integration for finding the volume. By considering this plane, you are able to determine the range of z values over which the volume is bounded, which is crucial for setting up the integral correctly.

4. What are some common techniques for evaluating the triple integral to find the volume?

Some common techniques for evaluating the triple integral include changing the order of integration, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and utilizing trigonometric substitutions or other variable transformations to make the integral more manageable.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the volume bounded by a hyperboloid and a plane?

Sure! Let's say we have the hyperboloid x^2/4 + y^2/9 - z^2/16 = 1 and the plane z = 2. By setting up the triple integral with appropriate limits of integration and evaluating it, we can find the volume bounded by these surfaces in three-dimensional space.