Quick question about differences of energy output for different reactions

In summary, the conversation is about setting up realistic conditions for a game design and specifically discussing the percentages of mass released as usable energy in uranium fission, D-T fusion, and positron-electron annihilation events. The speaker is seeking confirmation on their calculations and is open to corrections.
xx.jason.xx
I am trying to set up some realistic conditions for a game I am designing, and need a bit of help. I am speaking very generally in this context.

What are the percentages of mass released as usable energy in a uranium fission reaction, a D-T fusion reaction, and a positron-electron annihilation event. Notice I say USABLE, and these numbers do not have to be exact. I am simply trying to get a realistic basis for some numbers.

The numbers I have so far are these
uranium fission - 0.1% of the mass-energy conversion energy.
D-T fusion - 0.7% of the mass-energy conversion energy
positron-electron - 100%

PLEASE correct me if I have made a mistake.

EDIT:

The percentages represent this:

Take the entire mass of the reactants and convert it completely to energy. The percent is the usable energy from that caclulation. If it should only be the energy from the matter that was ACTUALLY converted, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can someone tell me if my numbers are at least close? I am simply trying to get relatively accurate numbers, not precise figures.

Any help is appreciated.

No one can even tell me if I am in the ballpark? I find that kind of hard to believe.

If I am wrong, let me know, and I will recalculate my numbers, but these are the numbers I got when i did my math. I am not looking for someone to do the work for me, I have done it. I just want to confirm my numbers.

1. What factors affect the energy output for different reactions?

The energy output for different reactions can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of reactants involved, the concentration of reactants, the presence of a catalyst, and the temperature and pressure of the reaction environment.

2. How does the energy output of exothermic reactions compare to endothermic reactions?

In exothermic reactions, energy is released as heat, resulting in a negative change in enthalpy. On the other hand, endothermic reactions require energy input to occur and have a positive change in enthalpy. Therefore, the energy output of exothermic reactions is higher than that of endothermic reactions.

3. Can the energy output of a reaction be predicted?

Yes, the energy output of a reaction can be predicted using thermodynamic calculations and experimental data. This can help scientists determine the feasibility and efficiency of a reaction and guide the design of new reactions.

4. How do different types of chemical bonds affect the energy output of a reaction?

The type of chemical bonds involved in a reaction can greatly impact the energy output. For example, breaking strong bonds, such as covalent bonds, requires more energy compared to breaking weaker bonds, such as hydrogen bonds. As a result, reactions involving strong bonds tend to have a higher energy output.

5. Can the energy output of a reaction be controlled?

Yes, the energy output of a reaction can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the reaction conditions (e.g. temperature, pressure), using a catalyst, or altering the reactants. This allows scientists to fine-tune the energy output of a reaction to meet specific needs or optimize its efficiency.