Register to reply

Quick question about differences of energy output for different reactions

by xx.jason.xx
Tags: differences, energy, output, reactions
Share this thread:
xx.jason.xx
Nov11-10, 10:35 PM
P: 5
I am trying to set up some realistic conditions for a game I am designing, and need a bit of help. I am speaking very generally in this context.

What are the percentages of mass released as usable energy in a uranium fission reaction, a D-T fusion reaction, and a positron-electron annihilation event. Notice I say USABLE, and these numbers do not have to be exact. I am simply trying to get a realistic basis for some numbers.

The numbers I have so far are these
uranium fission - 0.1% of the mass-energy conversion energy.
D-T fusion - 0.7% of the mass-energy conversion energy
positron-electron - 100%

PLEASE correct me if I have made a mistake.

EDIT:

The percentages represent this:

Take the entire mass of the reactants and convert it completely to energy. The percent is the usable energy from that caclulation. If it should only be the energy from the matter that was ACTUALLY converted, please let me know.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
xx.jason.xx
Nov15-10, 07:50 PM
can someone tell me if my numbers are at least close? I am simply trying to get relatively accurate numbers, not precise figures.

Any help is appreciated.
xx.jason.xx
Nov21-10, 05:45 PM
No one can even tell me if I am in the ballpark? I find that kind of hard to believe.

If I am wrong, let me know, and I will recalculate my numbers, but these are the numbers I got when i did my math. Im not looking for someone to do the work for me, I have done it. I just want to confirm my numbers.

Register to reply