Difference between binding and bonding energy

In summary, both nuclear fusion and chemistry involve the release of energy as heat. The difference is that in nuclear fusion, the released energy is converted to kinetic energy of the product particles, while in chemistry, the process is exothermic and leads to the formation of bonds.
anonymous24
Hello,
I am not sure whether it is the right place to post this but I am a bit confused about the bonding in chemistry and the binding energy in physics. From what I have read, in a nuclear fusion reaction, the released energy due to mass defect is converted to the kinetic energy of the product particles. However, in chemistry, the process is exothermic when bonds are formed, is it a similar process? Also, why would the energy released as heat instead of the kinetic energy of the product molecules? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very similar.
anonymous24 said:
From what I have read, in a nuclear fusion reaction, the released energy due to mass defect is converted to the kinetic energy of the product particles.
Only if two or more particles are created, otherwise it happens via the emission of radiation.
The same applies to chemical bonds.

Chemical binding energies are much smaller, so the motion of particles or the emission of radiation is directly close to thermal motion/radiation, whereas fusion processes produce very fast particles or high-energetic radiation.

Likes stoomart
mfb said:
It is very similar.
Only if two or more particles are created, otherwise it happens via the emission of radiation.
The same applies to chemical bonds.

Chemical binding energies are much smaller, so the motion of particles or the emission of radiation is directly close to thermal motion/radiation, whereas fusion processes produce very fast particles or high-energetic radiation.

Thank you for your response. I do understand the first part, but I'm not sure what do you mean by "thermal motion", could you please elaborate on it. thank you!

Motion of particles due the temperature. I don't understand what is unclear.

mfb said:
Motion of particles due the temperature. I don't understand what is unclear.
Thank you, I was just a bit confused but I am clear now. :)

What is the difference between binding and bonding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to keep a nucleus together, while bonding energy is the energy required to keep atoms bonded in a molecule.

How are binding and bonding energy related?

Binding energy is a subcategory of bonding energy. It specifically refers to the energy involved in keeping the nucleus of an atom together, while bonding energy refers to the energy involved in keeping atoms together in a molecule.

What factors affect binding and bonding energy?

The factors that affect binding and bonding energy include the number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus, the distance between atoms in a molecule, and the types of atoms involved.

Is binding energy always stronger than bonding energy?

No, binding energy can be either stronger or weaker than bonding energy. It depends on the specific elements and molecules involved.

How is binding and bonding energy measured?

Binding and bonding energy are typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or joules (J). These measurements are obtained through various experiments and calculations, such as mass spectrometry and quantum mechanical calculations.