What are the current and power equations for a double battery circuit?

In summary, a double battery circuit involves connecting two batteries in parallel to power a device, providing increased energy and longer battery life. It is not recommended to use different types of batteries in a double battery circuit and doing so can be unsafe and potentially damage the batteries or device. The main benefits of using a double battery circuit include increased power and better distribution of workload between the batteries. It is generally safe to use a double battery circuit as long as proper precautions are taken. However, it is not meant for charging batteries and attempting to do so can be dangerous.
lil_angel_007

Homework Statement

I have this circuit:
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/doublebattery.png/

Homework Equations

what are the currents I1, I2, and I3
and the power being delivered on each resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

i've tried doing 3 equations using the kirchhoff rules but i end up with the wrong answer...my equations were
21 - I1R1 - I3R = 0
15 - I2R2 - I3R = 0
I3 = I1 + I2
what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be a problem with your algebra. Your equations appear to be set up okay.

1. How does a double battery circuit work?

A double battery circuit involves connecting two batteries in parallel, which means the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the positive terminal of the other battery, and the same for the negative terminals. This allows the batteries to work together to power a device, providing more energy and longer battery life.

2. Can I use different types of batteries in a double battery circuit?

It is not recommended to use different types of batteries in a double battery circuit, as the batteries should have the same voltage and capacity for optimal performance. Mixing different types of batteries can also be dangerous and potentially damage the batteries or the device.

3. What are the benefits of using a double battery circuit?

The main benefit of a double battery circuit is increased power and longer battery life for a device. This is especially useful for high-powered devices or those that require a lot of energy. Additionally, using two batteries in parallel can also help distribute the workload between the batteries, leading to better overall performance.

4. Is it safe to use a double battery circuit?

As long as the batteries are connected properly and are of the same type and capacity, using a double battery circuit is generally safe. However, it is important to always follow safety precautions when handling batteries, such as avoiding short-circuiting and properly disposing of old or damaged batteries.

5. Can I use a double battery circuit to charge my batteries?

No, a double battery circuit is not meant for charging batteries. It is designed for powering devices that require more energy than a single battery can provide. Attempting to charge batteries in a double battery circuit can be dangerous and damage the batteries.