Calculating current in five resistor/two battery circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current through each of the five resistors in a circuit using the node and loop laws. The correct equation is I2 = I1 + I3, and it is important to consider the direction of current flow when applying the laws. By defining currents going into the node as positive and summing them to zero, it is possible to solve a system of equations and determine the currents through the resistors.
ddobre

Homework Statement

9sNwJTD.jpg

The circuit above has five resistors. Calculate the current through each.

Homework Equations

I1 = I2 + I3 (Node Law)
∑Vi = 0 (Loop Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to equate the currents using the node law, with I3 = I1+I2+I4+I5

egThju4.jpg

But I see a flaw here, because the currents seem to oppose each other at the node. Anyway, I tried to solve a system of equations using the above relation of currents, and seemed to get nowhere. Any advice?

Attachments

• 9sNwJTD.jpg
    9sNwJTD.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,474
  • egThju4.jpg
    egThju4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equation is ## I_2=I_1+I_3 ##. Do you see why? With that correction, it should work. Also ## I_1=I_4 ##, and ## I_2=I_5 ##. You only need 3 currents.

Is it because I1 and I3 meet at the node at the top, which then turns into I2? Almost forgot series resistors have equal current, that simplifies a lot.

Likes Charles Link
Note: You are basically solving a system of 3 equations and 3 unknowns (## I_1, I_2, ## and ## I_3 ##). Since you already have one equation, ## I_2=I_1+I_3 ##, you only need 2 voltage-loop equations. (The 3rd voltage loop equation would simply follow from the other two).

Likes ddobre
In my opinion you should always apply KCL like this...

1) Define currents going into (or out of) a node as positive and write down your decision!
2) Then apply KCL and sum the currents to zero.

So with reference to the top node in your diagram...

1) I define into a node as +ve. So therefore...

I1 and I3 are +ve
I2 is -ve

2) The sum is...

(+I1) + (-I2) + (+I3) = 0

Obvious some symbols and brackets are unnecessary but I have included them to make the point about you "summing to zero". If you do it this way you are much less likely to make a sign error. You can now rearrange it how you like, for example my equation becomes...

I1 + I3 -I2 = 0
or
I1 + I3 = I2

Likes Charles Link

1. How do you calculate current in a five resistor/two battery circuit?

The current in a five resistor/two battery circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this circuit, the total resistance can be found by adding the individual resistances of the five resistors. Once the total resistance is known, the current can be calculated by dividing the total voltage of the two batteries by the total resistance.

2. What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a five resistor/two battery circuit?

The formula for calculating total resistance in this circuit is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 + R5, where R1 to R5 are the individual resistances of each resistor in the circuit.

3. How do you determine the voltage of each battery in a five resistor/two battery circuit?

The voltage of each battery can be determined by dividing the total voltage of the circuit by the number of batteries present. In this case, the total voltage is the sum of the voltages of the two batteries, and there are two batteries present in the circuit.

4. Is there a difference in current if the batteries are connected in series or parallel?

Yes, there is a difference in current depending on how the batteries are connected. In series, the current remains the same throughout the circuit, while in parallel, the current splits among the different branches of the circuit. This means that the total current in a parallel circuit will be higher than the total current in a series circuit.

5. How do you calculate the voltage drop across each resistor in a five resistor/two battery circuit?

The voltage drop across each resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In this circuit, the current can be calculated using the total voltage and total resistance, and then this value can be multiplied by each individual resistance to find the voltage drop across each resistor.