Finding the currents in this circuit (2 voltage sources and 3 resistors)

In summary, the conversation involved solving a circuit problem using Kirchhoff's second rule and setting up equations based on the given information. After substituting values and solving, it was determined that the equations were correct except for one loop equation that needed to be adjusted to account for the direction of current flow. Finally, the conversation touched on the direction of voltage and current flow in relation to the chosen orientations in the circuit.
Nat1234123
Homework Statement
Which current ratings do I1, I2 and I3 have if the resistances hold R1 = 0.1 ohm, R2 = 0.02 Ohm and R3 = 0.2 Ohm?
Relevant Equations
U = IR
1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + ....
I1 = I2 + I3
In my attempt, I tried
1) I1 = I2 + I3
Then set up these two equations based on Kirchhoff's second rule:
2) U1 = R1 (I2) + R3 (I3) and
3) U1 + U2 = R1 (I1) + R2 (I3).
From what we have
10 = 0.1* I_2 + 0.2 * I_3
22 = 0.1* I_2 + 0.02*I_3

I_3 = 50 - 0.5 I_2

That means
I_2 = 233.3 A
I_3 = -66.7A
I1 = 166.6A
My answer is completely off.

Attachments

• oki.PNG
    oki.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
Nat1234123 said:
In my attempt, I tried
1) I1 = I2 + I3
That does not comport with your drawing.

phinds said:
That does not comport with your drawing.
If I fix that part, will the rest be right then?

Nat1234123 said:
If I fix that part, will the rest be right then?
No. Start there and rework the problem.

Substitute I3=z, I2=y and I1=x.

System of equations:
z = y + x
12−0.2z−0.02x=0
−10+0.2z+0.1y=0

From second and third equation solve:
x=−10z+600
y=100−2z

Add these to the first:
z=(100−2z)+(−10z+600)
z=700/13
z~53,85

Thus I3~53,85 , I2~-7,7 and I1~61,5

Hope this helps!

erpelkon said:

System of equations:
z = y + x
12−0.2z−0.02x=0
−10+0.2z+0.1y=0
. . .

Hope this helps!
Your second loop equation (the last equation I quoted above) is incorrect. Which direction around the loop did you use?

SammyS said:
Your second loop equation (the last equation I quoted above) is incorrect. Which direction around the loop did you use?
How come? Clockwise, i.e. U2 is positive direction and U1 is negative direction.

erpelkon said:
How come? Clockwise, i.e. U2 is positive direction and U1 is negative direction.
oki-png.png

Previously I quoted the following from your Post #5.
erpelkon said:

System of equations:
z = y + x
12−0.2z−0.02x=0
−10+0.2z+0.1y=0
The loop equation I referred to is:
##\displaystyle \quad −10+0.2z+0.1y=0 \ ##.

You are correct in that going clockwise around the outer loop the voltage contribution from ##U_1## is ##-\,10## volts. However, the clockwise direction around this loop is also consistent with the given choice of current direction for both ##I_2## and ##I_3##, so both give voltage drops (negative) across their respective resistors. In other words that loop equation should be:

##\displaystyle \quad -U_1-I_3 R_3 - I_2 R_1 = 0## .Your other equations are correct.

SammyS said:
View attachment 337612
Previously I quoted the following from your Post #5.

The loop equation I referred to is:
##\displaystyle \quad −10+0.2z+0.1y=0 \ ##.

You are correct in that going clockwise around the outer loop the voltage contribution from ##U_1## is ##-\,10## volts. However, the clockwise direction around this loop is also consistent with the given choice of current direction for both ##I_2## and ##I_3##, so both give voltage drops (negative) across their respective resistors. In other words that loop equation should be:

##\displaystyle \quad -U_1-I_3 R_3 - I_2 R_1 = 0## .Your other equations are correct.
So basically higher voltage U2 is "charging" lower voltage U1 since given the orientation of U1 the current is reversed! Agreed!

erpelkon said:
So basically higher voltage U2 is "charging" lower voltage U1 since given the orientation of U1 the current is reversed! Agreed!
I wouldn't put it that way, because you will find out that ##I_2## (which you relabeled as y) is negative, so the current flows through ##U_1## from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, opposite the direction chosen for ##I_2## in your drawing.

SammyS said:
I wouldn't put it that way, because you will find out that ##I_2## (which you relabeled as y) is negative, so the current flows through ##U_1## from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, opposite the direction chosen for ##I_2## in your drawing.

But after calculus one will find out I1 to be the largest and not I3, thus U1 has to be a load and not a source?

1. How do I find the currents in a circuit with multiple voltage sources and resistors?

To find the currents in a circuit with multiple voltage sources and resistors, you can use Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) and Ohm's law. First, apply KCL at each node to determine the current flowing in and out of the node. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drops across each resistor based on the current flowing through them.

2. Can I simplify the circuit before finding the currents?

Yes, you can simplify the circuit by combining resistors in series or parallel to reduce the number of elements in the circuit. This will make it easier to apply KCL and Ohm's law to find the currents in the circuit.

3. How do I determine the direction of the currents in the circuit?

You can arbitrarily assign a direction to the currents in the circuit and apply KCL at each node to ensure that the sum of currents entering the node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. If the calculated current is negative, it means the actual current flows in the opposite direction to the assigned direction.

4. What is the significance of finding the currents in a circuit?

Finding the currents in a circuit helps in analyzing the behavior of the circuit and determining the power dissipation in each element. It also allows you to calculate the voltage drops across resistors and ensure that the circuit operates within safe limits.

5. Are there any software tools available to help find the currents in a circuit?

Yes, there are various circuit simulation software tools like SPICE, LTspice, and CircuitLab that can help you analyze complex circuits and find the currents flowing through them. These tools provide a visual representation of the circuit and allow you to simulate different scenarios to understand the behavior of the circuit better.