Register to reply

Heat equation with nonhomogeneous boundary conditions

Share this thread:
tjackson3
Feb26-11, 05:34 PM
P: 150
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = k\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}[/tex] subject to
[tex]u(0,t) = A(t),\ u(L,t) = 0,\ u(x,0) = g(x).[/tex] Assume that u(x,t) has a Fourier sine series. Determine a differential equation for the Fourier coefficients (assume appropriate continuity).

2. Relevant equations

Coefficients of the Fourier sine series of [itex]f(x)[/itex]:
[tex]B_n = \frac{2}{L}\int_0^L f(x)\sin(n\pi x/L)\ dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck just getting a start. The problem is that [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] will not converge to its Fourier sine series at x = 0 unless A(t) is identically zero. This also kills the ability to perform term-by-term differentiation on the FSS. It seems impossible to impose the boundary condition at x = 0. Thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Ninty64
Feb14-12, 08:38 PM
P: 46
BUMP.

I also have this same question. I was also stuck at the same point. Since by assumption,
[itex]u(x,t) ≈ \sum B_n(t)sin ( \frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/itex]
then it follows that you can't differentiate since it is a sine series. Sine series implies it must be continuous and u(0,t)=u(L,t)=0. However, u(0,t)=A(t).

I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

Register to reply