Steady state heat equation in a rectangle with a punkt heat source

In summary, the person has been trying to solve a heat equation in a rectangle but has not been successful. They have tried using separation of variables and Green's function, but have not found a solution. They then considered simplifying the problem by defining a new function, but that also did not work. When using separation of variables, they obtained solutions of the form X(x)Y(y), but were unable to determine the constants. The person is seeking assistance with this problem.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the steady state heat equation in a rectangle whose bottom surface is kept at a fixed temperature, left and right sides are insulated and top side too, except for a point in a corner where heat is generated constantly through time.
Relevant Equations
##\kappa \nabla ^2 T + g =0##
I have checked several textbooks about the heat equation in a rectangle and I have found none that deals with my exact problem. I have though to use separation of variables first (to no avail), then Green's function (to no avail), then simplifying the problem for example by defining a new function in terms of ##T(x,y)## such that it would satisfy a homogeneous problem instead, but to no avail. (is a problem even called homogeneous when ##dT/dx|_{x_0} = 0## rather than ##T(x=x_0)=0##? I guess not.)

Out of memory, when I went with separation of variables to tackle ##\kappa \left( \frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial x^2}+ \frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial y^2}\right) = 0##, I obtained solutions of the form ##X(x)Y(y)## with ##X(x)=A\cosh(\alpha x)+B\sinh(\alpha x)## and ##Y(y)=C\cos(\alpha y)+D\sin(\alpha y)## where ##\alpha## is the separation constant. The boundary conditions are of the type Dirichlet for the bottom surface: ##T(x,y=0)=T_0##. And Neumann elsewhere: ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}|_{x=0, y=0}## for ##y\in [0,b)##, ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}|_{x=a, y=0}## for ##y\in [0,b]## and ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial y}|_{x, y=b}## for ##x\in (0,a]##. The power generated translates as the Neumann boundary condition ##\nabla T \cdot \hat n## and so ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}|_{x=0, y=b}+ \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}|_{x=0, y=b}=p## where ##p## is the power density of the heat source.

I have been stuck there, I could not get to apply and know the constants ##A##, ##B##, ##C## and ##D##, nor ##\alpha##. All of these constants are in fact depending on ##n##, natural numbers, because the separable solutions are eigenfunctions, etc.

Any pointer would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I’m thinking of an array of sources and sinks.

1. What is the steady state heat equation?

The steady state heat equation is a mathematical representation of the flow of heat in a system that has reached a stable temperature. It takes into account factors such as heat sources, thermal conductivity, and boundary conditions to determine the temperature distribution in the system.

2. How does the steady state heat equation apply to a rectangle?

In the context of heat transfer, a rectangle is a common shape used to represent a two-dimensional system. The steady state heat equation can be applied to a rectangle to calculate the temperature distribution within the system, taking into account the dimensions of the rectangle and any heat sources or boundary conditions present.

3. What is a point heat source in the context of the steady state heat equation?

A point heat source is a localized area within a system that is generating or absorbing heat. In the steady state heat equation, a point heat source is represented by a single point within the system where the temperature is known or can be calculated.

4. How is the steady state heat equation solved for a rectangle with a point heat source?

The steady state heat equation can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the rectangle into smaller elements and solving the resulting equations to determine the temperature distribution in the system, taking into account the point heat source and any other relevant factors.

5. What are some real-world applications of the steady state heat equation in a rectangle with a point heat source?

The steady state heat equation has many practical applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems in buildings, the analysis of heat transfer in electronic devices, and the study of thermal properties in materials. It can also be used in the field of geothermal energy to model the flow of heat in the Earth's crust.