Higher melting point, PH3 or NH3?

In summary: Ammonia has a higher electronegativity than phospine. So the forces between the molecules are going to be stronger.There is no similarity between this pair and the other pairs you considered.
ANDR3W
Hi everyone, I have a question for all of you

In an exercise of chemistry it's written to find the compound, between every couple, which has the highest melting point.

The three couples are: H20 H2S; KBr CF4, NH3 PH3.

In the first case water has higher melting point because the bond is stronger than the sulfuric acid one.
In the second case, looking at the electronic configuration, we can spot that Br has 4p5 and so makes an ionic bond with K that is giving away its electron to complete valence shell.

In the third case i really don't know what to think.
They have same electronic configuration so i don't know how to spot the higher one..
Can anybody help me? :)
Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ANDR3W said:
Hi everyone, I have a question for all of you

In an exercise of chemistry it's written to find the compound, between every couple, which has the highest melting point.

The three couples are: H20 H2S; KBr CF4, NH3 PH3.

In the first case water has higher melting point because the bond is stronger than the sulfuric acid one.
In the second case, looking at the electronic configuration, we can spot that Br has 4p5 and so makes an ionic bond with K that is giving away its electron to complete valence shell.

In the third case i really don't know what to think.
They have same electronic configuration so i don't know how to spot the higher one..
Can anybody help me? :)
Thank you.

Well, what are the dominant intermolecular forces between ammonia molecules? Do you expect those to be stronger or weaker than the forces between phospine molecules? Is there any similarity between this pair and the other pairs you considered?

H2S is not sulfuric acid. H2S is hydrogen sulfide.

Look at the Electronegativity

I can provide some insights on the melting points of NH3 and PH3. Both NH3 and PH3 are polar molecules with similar electronic configurations. However, the difference in electronegativity between nitrogen and hydrogen (3.04-2.20=0.84) is smaller than that between phosphorus and hydrogen (2.19-2.20=0.01). This means that the polarity of the P-H bond in PH3 is stronger than that of the N-H bond in NH3. As a result, PH3 molecules are more strongly attracted to each other, leading to a higher melting point compared to NH3. Additionally, the larger size of phosphorus compared to nitrogen also contributes to the stronger intermolecular forces in PH3, further increasing its melting point. Therefore, in this case, PH3 would have a higher melting point than NH3.

1. What is the difference between the melting points of PH3 and NH3?

PH3 has a higher melting point than NH3. This is due to the stronger intermolecular forces in PH3, which are caused by the larger size and electronegativity difference between phosphorus and hydrogen compared to nitrogen and hydrogen.

2. Why does PH3 have a higher melting point despite being a smaller molecule?

Although PH3 is a smaller molecule, it has a larger atomic radius and higher electronegativity difference between phosphorus and hydrogen compared to NH3. These factors contribute to stronger intermolecular forces, leading to a higher melting point.

3. How do intermolecular forces play a role in determining melting points?

Intermolecular forces, such as dipole-dipole interactions and London dispersion forces, are responsible for holding molecules together in a solid state. The strength of these forces determines the amount of energy required to break them and melt the substance.

4. Can other factors besides intermolecular forces affect the melting point of a substance?

Yes, other factors such as molecular size, shape, and symmetry can also influence the melting point. For example, larger molecules tend to have higher melting points due to the increased surface area for intermolecular interactions.

5. How does the pH of a substance affect its melting point?

The pH of a substance does not directly affect its melting point. However, the chemical properties of the substance may be influenced by its acidity or basicity, which can in turn affect its intermolecular forces and ultimately its melting point.