Why does the melting point of aspirin increase

In summary: I'm still not sure what you're saying. Also, I know it's off topic but is acetylsalicylic... acetylsalicylic acid?acetylsalicylic acid
Daniel2244
I used sailcylic acid and acetic anhydride to produce aspirin and preformed recrystalisation to purify the aspirin. I need to evaluate why I have a higher/lower melting point. In this case, the melting point was 143°C whereas the true meling point is 135°C.
I thought one of the reasons my melting point could of elevated is due to impurities from contaminated equipment or the chemicals being in equalibrium causing sailcylic acid to remain in the final product. Sailcylic acid has a higher melting point than aspirin causing the aspirin produced to have a higher MP.
However, not sure if this would increase/decrease and I need to know what could of caused the MP to increase.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What I remember from my days at the university was that a lower melting point meant impurities and a higher melting point meant you had the wrong substance!

It is not clear from your post if you synthesized the aspirin or are testing a commercial medicine. If it is the former, how did you proceed? If it is the latter, did you take any steps to isolate the acetylsalicylic acid from the rest of the tablet?

DrClaude said:
What I remember from my days at the university was that a lower melting point meant impurities and a higher melting point meant you had the wrong substance!

It is not clear from your post if you synthesized the aspirin or are testing a commercial medicine. If it is the former, how did you proceed? If it is the latter, did you take any steps to isolate the acetylsalicylic acid from the rest of the tablet?
sailcylic and acetic anhydride was used to synthesize aspirin and then to purify crystalisation was carried out

Then I would guess that there is a lot of salicylic acid left. If you can go back to the lab, you should try to redo the purification. Did you do any other analysis of the final product, such as IR or NMR spectra?

If what you have 'produced' is mostly non-reacted salicylic acid (contaminated with some aspirin) then yes, you can see a higher MP.

Edit: DrC beat me

Likes Daniel2244 and DrClaude
Borek said:
If what you have 'produced' is mostly non-reacted salicylic acid (contaminated with some aspirin) then yes, you can see a higher MP.

DrClaude said:
Then I would guess that there is a lot of salicylic acid left. If you can go back to the lab, you should try to redo the purification. Did you do any other analysis of the final product, such as IR or NMR spectra?
Thanks for your help. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right lines

Borek said:

is there any other factors which could of elevated my melting point?

Every other factor that I can think about will produce lower MP, not a higher one.

That is, assuming the MP apparatus and operator are in working order :wink:

Likes Daniel2244
Borek said:
Every other factor that I can think about will produce lower MP, not a higher one.

That is, assuming the MP apparatus and operator are in working order :wink:
ahaha thanks for the help

Daniel2244 said:
A wrong reading of temperature can sometimes be due to a too high temperature gradient (the temperature goes up too fast such that when the substance is completely melted, the temperature measured is actually above the actual melting point). But in your case, the difference is so big that I would say that only another substance with a higher Tmelt can explain it.

By the way, did yid you measure a single melting point or a range of temperatures?

DrClaude said:
A wrong reading of temperature can sometimes be due to a too high temperature gradient (the temperature goes up too fast such that when the substance is completely melted, the temperature measured is actually above the actual melting point). But in your case, the difference is so big that I would say that only another substance with a higher Tmelt can explain it.

By the way, did yid you measure a single melting point or a range of temperatures?
I repeated it 3 times, I got 140 145 145 deg C

Daniel2244 said:
I repeated it 3 times, I got 140 145 145 deg C
What I meant by range is that one records the temperature at the onset of melting and at the point where the entire solid has melted. A wide range is usually indicative of a mixture.

DrClaude said:
What I meant by range is that one records the temperature at the onset of melting and at the point where the entire solid has melted. A wide range is usually indicative of a mixture.
I'm still not sure what you're saying. Also, I know it's off topic but is acetylsalicylic acid purity testest by IR spectro?

Daniel2244 said:
I'm still not sure what you're saying.
Also, I know it's off topic but is acetylsalicylic acid purity testest by IR spectro?
I was thinking that you could see the presence of acetylsalicylic acid by looking at the OH band in the IR spectrum. You could also confirm the presence of aspirin by the signature of the CH3 group.

Likes Daniel2244
DrClaude said:
I was thinking that you could see the presence of acetylsalicylic acid by looking at the OH band in the IR spectrum. You could also confirm the presence of aspirin by the signature of the CH3 group.
Thanks

More obvious than the CH3 group is the aliphatic ester C=O stretch at ca. 1740 cm-1. This is absent in salicylic acid; the aromatic acid/ester C=O band is < 1700. Salicylic acid has a phenolic OH band at ca. 3300 cm-1, absent in aspirin. (The acidic OH is broad and weak.)

Likes HAYAO and DrClaude
mjc123 said:
More obvious than the CH3 group is the aliphatic ester C=O stretch at ca. 1740 cm-1. This is absent in salicylic acid; the aromatic acid/ester C=O band is < 1700. Salicylic acid has a phenolic OH band at ca. 3300 cm-1, absent in aspirin. (The acidic OH is broad and weak.)
Thanks for the clarification. It's been a couple of decades since I did any of this *feeling old*.

Daniel2244 said:

If you used a large excess of acetic anhydride, might you have produced the mixed anhydride of acetic and acetyl-salicylic acids? What was the ratio of the anhydride to salicylate?

How is the temperature measured?
When was it last calibrated or checked?
Do you have another temperature sensor you can substitute or use in parallel?

The most interesting question is the yield of your recrystallization (recrystallization means you dissolve and crystallise the crystalline product of reaction, not solid residue after volatiles evaporation). Small yield makes possible you crystallize impurity of low solubility. Just measure IR spectra and compare result with literature data.
In principle, it is possible to obtain higher melting point through presence of impurities. Inside phase diagrams one can meet "compounds" or "complexes" with Mp much higher than pure components. They must be accompanied by Mp minima on both sides (eutectics) and the composition of each characteristic point differs by tens of percent from another. In orgenic substances such a situation is rather rarity, I do not expect it in simple salicylates. When you purify acetylsalicylic acid to more than 90%, you are on side of phase diagram and can expect simple eutectic behaviour of your sample. When you can prove that your measuring set is proper one and measurement is well performed, increased Mp is worthy of further investigation and publishing of results.
Best regards.

1. Why does the melting point of aspirin increase?

The melting point of aspirin increases due to its molecular structure. Aspirin molecules are held together by strong intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonds and Van der Waals forces. As the temperature increases, these forces become weaker, allowing the molecules to move more freely and increasing the likelihood of melting.

2. How does the molecular structure of aspirin affect its melting point?

The molecular structure of aspirin, specifically its intermolecular forces, is responsible for the increase in melting point. Aspirin molecules are long and thin, with polar functional groups that allow for strong hydrogen bonding. These bonds require more energy to break as the temperature rises, resulting in a higher melting point.

3. What other factors can influence the melting point of aspirin?

Aside from molecular structure, external factors such as pressure and impurities can also affect the melting point of aspirin. Increasing the pressure can compress the molecules, making it harder for them to break free and melt. Impurities in the sample can also lower the melting point as they disrupt the intermolecular forces.

4. Why does aspirin have a higher melting point than other pain relievers?

Aspirin has a higher melting point compared to other pain relievers due to its unique molecular structure. Other pain relievers, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, have weaker intermolecular forces and smaller molecular structures, resulting in lower melting points.

5. Can the melting point of aspirin be used to determine its purity?

Yes, the melting point of aspirin can be used as a measure of purity. Pure aspirin will have a sharp melting point, while impurities will cause the melting point to be lower and less defined. By comparing the observed melting point to the known melting point of pure aspirin, the purity of a sample can be determined.