How to find the maximum rpm of the solid shaft that has a ring mounted on it?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum rpm and temperature at which a ring mounted on a shaft with an interference fit of 0.002" will remain secure. The possibility of differential thermal expansion affecting the fit is also mentioned.
a.googoodolls
Hello,

I have to find the maximum rpm of the shaft that has ring mounted on the shaft with interference fit of 0.002". I want to know at what rpm the ring will come loose from the shaft?

and

If I run the shaft at 7000rpm at 400 degree Celsius, is the interference fit of 002" enough for the ring to hold on to the shaft? How can I find out if it is adequate or not?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Angular velocity will have no bearing on whether the collar will stay on the shaft. Differential thermal expansion could play a part though, if the two parts are made of different materials.

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum rpm of a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it?

The formula for finding the maximum rpm of a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it is rpm = (60 * frequency) / (number of poles * 2), where frequency is the frequency of rotation in Hz and number of poles is the number of magnetic poles in the motor.

2. How do I determine the frequency of rotation for the shaft?

The frequency of rotation for the shaft can be determined by dividing the rotational speed in revolutions per minute (rpm) by 60 seconds. For example, if the rotational speed is 6000 rpm, the frequency of rotation would be 100 Hz.

3. What factors can affect the maximum rpm of a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum rpm of a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it, including the material and design of the shaft, the size and weight of the ring, and the amount of torque and power being applied to the shaft.

4. Is there a limit to the maximum rpm that a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it can achieve?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum rpm that a solid shaft with a ring mounted on it can achieve. This limit is determined by the material properties and structural integrity of the shaft and ring, as well as the operating conditions and load on the shaft.

5. Can I use any solid shaft and ring combination to achieve the maximum rpm?

No, not all solid shaft and ring combinations will be able to achieve the maximum rpm. It is important to consider the material properties, design, and operating conditions to ensure that the shaft and ring can handle the rotational speed and load. Consulting with an engineer or conducting thorough testing is recommended.