Calculating Maximum Force for C1018 Steel Shaft

In summary: So, the total force applied to the necked-down region is still P = w*(7.10 mm) = 1517 N. Overall, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the maximum force a designed shaft can handle before bending or shearing. The shaft material, dimensions, and operating conditions are given, and the conversation includes a discussion of how to calculate the force to bend the shaft. The final answer is that, in this particular case, the maximum allowable force is P = 1517 N.
JGrant
Hello,

It's been a while since I did this in college and I cannot remember a few steps.
I am trying to calculate the maximum force my designed shaft can handle before bending/shearing.
My shaft material is C1018 steel rod, with a yield strength of 53.7 KSI and an ultimate strength of 63.8 KSI. It will be rotating at 1650 RPM with 1/11HP. The end where I would have bending is necked down to fit into another part. It has been determined that the motor shaft will be the weakest link.
-IhbTPTGPaj7l-hNmoVSaftyZ9Z9C49wMCgbvdG7BA=w141-h94-p-no.jpg

Here is a section of the shaft end. The rotating part will be in contact is the shaft over the .2795" dimension. With a force pushing down over that distance.

The area of the cross section is .06331 inches^2.

The overall shaft length is 3.527"
The shaft will be supported at .586" and 3.287" from the left.

Im mainly looking for help on how to calculate the force to bend this shaft.
If someone can just let me know how to calculate it, Id be very much appreciative.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your thumbnail image can't be magnified. Do you have another image you can post?

GNT5n5yhmA9MvHoRxpEb7uSBkPj1p75EnkPLZ9eqsw=w141-h94-p-no.jpg

Shaft+End.JPG

Let me know if this works.

Last edited:
JGrant: What is the shaft diameter before the necked down region?

JGrant: I currently assumed the shaft diameter, in the non-necked-down region, which you did not provide yet, is 9.491 mm. I currently, arbitrarily assumed a shaft endurance limit of Se = 0.45*Stu. Therefore, the maximum allowable uniformly-distributed load you can apply to the shaft necked-down region is currently w = 211 N/mm, which is a total force (applied to the necked-down region) of P = w*(7.10 mm) = 1498 N.

The governing cross section is currently at the first support, although the necked-down region currently runs a very close second. I will wait until you give us the shaft diameter, to see if it changes any outcome.

NVN: The shaft diameter at the larger section is 9.5275 mm.
Do you calculate the force to bend the shaft the same as it is static even tho it is rotating? I thought I had to calculate a torsional force in addition to a load.

JGrant: I updated the shaft diameter to 9.5275 mm. Now w = 213.7 N/mm, which is a total force (applied to the necked-down region) of P = w*(7.10 mm) = 1517 N. The governing cross section is still at the first support. The power listed in post 1 appears to be 67.79 W, producing a shaft torque of merely Mx = 392.3 N*mm. Mx appears to be so small, that it has virtually no effect upon the above answer. I.e., inclusion of Mx only changes P to P = 1516 N. Therefore, in this particular case, it appears you can omit the torsional moment, Mx, because it has virtually no effect.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
NVN:
Thank you for helping me on this. I am feeling like I have a much better grasp on it, but I am not sure how you calculated w. (i.e. w=213.7N/mm, in post 7).
Once I know that I feel I can do these calculations on my own on any future shafts.

Thank you

NVN:
Wouldn't the P force be located in the center of the distributed load not at the end?
Therefore, instead of using 7.1 mm, it would be 3.55mm?

Thank you for helping me with this,
Sorry if I ask to many questions.

JGrant: Yes, the P force is located at the center of the uniformly-distributed load (UDL), which is where I put it. The UDL has a length of 7.10 mm, not 3.55 mm.

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum force for C1018 steel shaft?

The formula for calculating maximum force for C1018 steel shaft is:

Maximum Force = Yield Strength x Cross-Sectional Area

Where Yield Strength is the amount of stress that the steel can withstand before it starts to deform and Cross-Sectional Area is the area of the shaft in square inches.

2. How do I determine the yield strength of C1018 steel?

The yield strength of C1018 steel can be found in a material properties table or by consulting the steel manufacturer. It is typically measured in ksi (kilo-pounds per square inch) or MPa (megapascals).

3. What is the cross-sectional area of a C1018 steel shaft?

The cross-sectional area of a C1018 steel shaft can be calculated by multiplying the diameter of the shaft by itself and then multiplying by pi (π). The formula is:

Cross-Sectional Area = π x (diameter)^2

Where diameter is measured in inches.

4. Can I use the same formula for different types of steel shafts?

No, the formula for calculating maximum force may vary depending on the type of steel being used. Each type of steel has its own yield strength and cross-sectional area, which would need to be substituted into the formula.

5. How do I convert the maximum force from ksi to pounds?

To convert the maximum force from ksi (kilo-pounds per square inch) to pounds, simply multiply the value by the cross-sectional area of the shaft. The result will be in pounds of force. For example:

Maximum Force (lbs) = Maximum Force (ksi) x Cross-Sectional Area (in^2)