How do I properly mount a needle bearing for a trike swing arm?

In summary, a needle bearing will be used in a trike swing arm to reduce the outer diameter of the bearing while still being able to fit all the wires through. The bearing will be press fit into a housing and the housing will be locked together with the bearing.
Heral89
Hi,

I am have been trying to figure out the correct way to mount a needle bearing.
I have previously worked with ball bearings.

Here is the application:

The needle bearing will be pivot point of a swing arm of a trike. Another will form the central pivot point that breaks the vehicle from front to rear. See image for reference. The red arrows mark moving points.

The pivot points should ideally be hollow so that I can pass wirings and brake hoses through them. The rear wheels are hub motors (hence wires have to pass through them).
By using needle bearings, I think I can reduce the outer diameter of the bearings, yet get sufficient inner diameter for all the wires to pass through. What I can't figure out is how to mount them.

Also what is the difference between this bearing
and this bearing
Besides their width/length, both bearings should be mounted the same. Why is the mounting assembly image different?

The second link: NKI bearing, it seems both the other housing and inner shaft have a flange on one side and retainer rings on the other side to lock the bearing in position. My problem is difference in ID and OD of bearing is so low that they interfere with each other. Besides the OD of the bearing is 68, for which I can't find a suitable retainer ring (sizes of 65 or 70 are available). Also , if I have a flange to lock the bearing from one side, it feels that the flange will be too thin (ID vs OD).
Is there is any other way of mounting a needle bearing (press fitting is one option, at least for the other end).
I have been trying to find material on the same but nothing on needle bearing with hollow shafts.

And yes I am open to alternative bearing/bush options as well.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• tilt_with_swing.jpg
    tilt_with_swing.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 492
Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Andy SV and Heral89
So what I understand is that the inner ring of the bearing can slide in or out in the bearings I had selected.
On other hand drawn cup bearing doesn't have inner ring. Assuming I press fit the bearing in housing, the bearing and housing are locked with each other.
Now the shaft can still slide in and out of the bearing? Assuming I use a shoulder on one end of the shaft and retainer ring on other end, the shaft can be locked as well with the bearing.

Thanks

When using needle bearings it is generally better to have separate bearings for the radial and axial loads .

Thrust needle bearings .

Likes Heral89
If I understand what you are doing correctly though there is no continuous or rapid motion in these bearings . It may be that sleeve bearings will do all that you want at lower cost and with less complexity than for rolling contact bearings .

Can you post a dimensioned sketch of the actual shafts and housings that you are asking about bearings for ?

Likes Heral89
I don't think there is any axial load on the needle bearing.

On the sleeves, I want to use the same but have absolutely no knowledge on the same. Any references or books or pointing in the right direction will help. Googling sleeves already though.

Sizes are not fixed yet but I'll post rough dimensions, forces etc.
Thanks

Also called plain bearings and journal bearings .

http://www.ina.de/content.ina.de/en/products_services/rotativ_products/plain_bearings/plain_bearings.jsp. The technical data downloads are full of useful information .

Note though that plain bearings for less demanding purposes are quite easy to make in a home workshop . Can be metal but can also be Nylon , Teflon , Tufnol and other modern non metallic bearing materials .

Every location you indicate on your illustration is going to have thrust loads. Axial needle bearings are not designed for thrust loading. There are radial thrust needle bearing assemblies that can be used in concert with axial needle bearing but these are radial in design and would defeat you intended purpose to reduce the O.D. to I.D. of your assembly design.

A single needle roller bearing is not good at controlling alignment. Any misalignment will put very high loads at the ends of the small radius rollers, that will quickly Brinell the bearing surface. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling
To overcome that, where needles or rollers are used you must control the alignment with another bearing some axial distance away.

A better way, which will handle all loads, would be to use two opposed tapered roller bearings, as in a vehicle stub-axle/hub. But rolling bearings need lubrication, and then seals to keep the dirt out.

If rollers or balls do not rotate sufficiently they do not spread lubrication.
The attractive alternative is to use a hard polymer sleeve bearing to carry the load.

Some ordinary ball bearings (eg Conrad) have thrust capability. Wouldn't a pair of those in bearing blocks work?

I hesitate to suggest it but it is possible to run electricity through the ball races themselves. OK for a one off project but perhaps not reliable for mass production.

RTPsetup800.png

CWatters said:
I hesitate to suggest it but it is possible to run electricity through the ball races themselves. OK for a one off project but perhaps not reliable for mass production.
You hesitate I presume, because 'spark erosion' is a recognised cause of bearing failure.

Electrical Discharge Machining is a non-traditional machining technique that includes Wire EDM and Plunge or Ram EDM.

In the presence of efficient lubrication, spark erosion can continue for as long as electrical energy is available. Without lubrication, air is present so oxidation of the bearing material following spark erosion quickly generates a layer of oxide powder that insulates the contact and so reduces current flow. Both destroy the bearing surfaces if current is permitted to flow.

Likes CWatters
That drawing is not complete. show bearing placement.

1. What is the purpose of mounting a needle bearing?

The purpose of mounting a needle bearing is to provide a smooth and efficient rotation between two parts in a machine. This is achieved by reducing friction and distributing the load evenly.

2. What are the steps involved in mounting a needle bearing?

The steps involved in mounting a needle bearing include cleaning and inspecting the bearing and surrounding parts, applying a thin layer of lubricant, aligning the bearing to the designated location, and pressing or hammering the bearing into place.

3. How do I know if a needle bearing needs to be replaced?

If you notice increased noise, vibration, or difficulty rotating the machine, it may be a sign that the needle bearing needs to be replaced. Additionally, if there is any visible damage or wear on the bearing, it should be replaced.

4. Can I mount a needle bearing without any special tools?

While it is possible to mount a needle bearing without special tools, it is highly recommended to use a bearing press or hammering tool specifically designed for this purpose. This will ensure that the bearing is mounted correctly and prevent damage to the bearing or surrounding parts.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when mounting a needle bearing?

When mounting a needle bearing, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent injury from sharp edges or flying debris. It is also important to follow proper handling and mounting procedures to avoid any accidents or damage to the bearing.