Installing Snap Ring on a Shaft with Larger OD

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of installing a snap ring rated for 5 mm diameter shafts over a 6 mm diameter shaft into a 4.8 mm diameter groove. The speaker has experience with installing and removing snap rings and suggests following the manufacturer's specifications. They also mention the difficulty of opening the snap ring 1 mm farther than the rated OD and recommend finding a different solution instead.
harpoon
Hello! Long story short, I am interested in installing a snap ring rated for 5 mm diameter shafts over a 6 mm diameter shaft into the appropriate groove. For several reasons, I cannot use other types of retaining rings (i.e. side mount E-style retaining rings, etc). This is the snap ring:

https://www.mcmaster.com/90154A101/

Unfortunately, I am not able to quickly get my hands on a rotary shaft with the proper grooves and retaining rings to test this out experimentally. Assuming I have the proper installation tools and that the groove is properly sized to fit the snap ring, is this possible, or will it be too difficult to open the snap ring 1 mm farther than the rated OD of the snap ring? In general, how far can I open a snap ring over its rated shaft OD until it yields or gets damaged?

Thank you in advance! Let me know if I should clarify anything.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have installed and removed a lot of snap rings over the years. Without knowing any details I can only say go by the manufacturer specs. I've worked with snap rings that are seemingly too small for the shaft yet are oem sourced. I've also seen the time that in my opinion they are too loose and also oem sourced.

Likes Lnewqban
harpoon said:
... is this possible, or will it be too difficult to open the snap ring 1 mm farther than the rated OD of the snap ring?
It is designed to pass over a 5 mm diameter shaft, to seat in a 4.8 mm diameter groove. To pass it over a 6 mm shaft, into a 4.8 mm diameter groove will be very difficult. It will buckle and twist. You will need to make it into a long helical turn to pass it over the 6 mm shaft. It will then be difficult to flatten it again as it is seated in the deep groove. Cutting the deeper groove in the 6 mm shaft will be difficult, and the ring will only just show above the lip.
Why not use a 6 mm ring on the 6 mm shaft?

That split in the snap ring will have to open up to at least 4.08mm to get a 6mm dia. In reality, probably a bit more considering that much deformation will not be uniform. Good luck with that!

I recommend finding a different solution.

Cheers,
Tom

• Haha
Likes Tom.G

1. How do I determine the correct size snap ring for my shaft with a larger OD?

The size of the snap ring needed for a shaft with a larger OD can be determined by measuring the diameter of the shaft and using a snap ring size chart to find the corresponding snap ring size. It is important to choose a snap ring that is slightly smaller than the shaft diameter to ensure a tight fit.

2. What tools are needed to install a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD?

The tools needed to install a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD include snap ring pliers, which are designed specifically for handling snap rings, and a pair of needle nose pliers for holding the snap ring in place while installing it. It may also be helpful to have a small hammer to tap the snap ring into place.

3. What is the correct method for installing a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD?

The correct method for installing a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD is to first spread the snap ring open with the snap ring pliers. Then, carefully place the snap ring onto the shaft, making sure it is fully seated in the groove. Use the needle nose pliers to hold the snap ring in place while using the snap ring pliers to close the snap ring, securing it in place.

4. What precautions should I take when installing a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD?

When installing a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD, it is important to wear protective eyewear to prevent any potential injury from the snap ring popping off during installation. It is also important to make sure the snap ring is fully seated in the groove to ensure proper function.

5. Can I reuse a snap ring on a shaft with a larger OD?

In most cases, snap rings can be reused on a shaft with a larger OD as long as they are not damaged or distorted during removal. However, it is always recommended to use a new snap ring to ensure proper fit and function. Reusing a snap ring may also depend on the specific application and manufacturer's recommendations.