Register to reply

AP Linear Algebra would you think it's a good idea

by xdrgnh
Tags: algebra, linear
Share this thread:
xdrgnh
Aug25-11, 04:15 PM
P: 314
One of the math classes I wasn't able to take in High School but wanted to take was Linear Algebra. Linear Algebra is has many uses like analyzing vectors or solving complicated systems of linear equations. Also for those students who want to go into pure math Linear Algebra can be a very good introduction to rigorous math. Because of all of the uses and flexibility a Linear Algebra coarse can constitute I think it would be a good idea for the college board to make a AP version of the class. What do you guys think?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
mathwonk
Aug25-11, 05:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,470
Linear algebra is a good course for high school. But the AP program is a harmful influence on college education, substituting amateur instruction from high school for expert instruction in college.

I.e. AP courses are misnomers, since they provide at best somewhat better preparation for good college classes and almost never qualify to substitute for them.

So your suggestion is a good one, but it rubs against my sore spot as to the misguided AP program.
romsofia
Aug25-11, 06:35 PM
P: 271
Many high schools (in america) you have the opportunity to take LA via duel enrollment! That is case at my high school, and others in the school district.

Register to reply