Numerical Linear Algebra or Modern Algebra

In summary, the person is asking for advice on which math course to take between Intro to Modern Algebra or Numerical Linear Algebra. They are studying physics and plan to continue onto graduate school. The responder suggests that Numerical Linear Algebra would be more beneficial, as abstract algebra has not been useful in their physics studies and Numerical Linear Algebra would be helpful for programming and analyzing data in research.
Ian Baughman
So I am working out a course schedule for my last two years of undergrad and have room for only one more math class but do not know which would be more beneficial. The two courses are Intro to Modern Algebra or Numerical Linear Algebra. I am working towards a bachelors degree in physics and plan to continue onto graduate school for physics or applied physics. Which one of these do you think would be more beneficial to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took abstract algebra as it was then called as an undergrad physics/math major. Numerical linear algebra was not offered and computers were mainly mainframe and new at the time. Nevertheless, numerical linear algebra should be a lot more beneficial. I never used the abstract algebra for anything in physics.

Sure, I understood SU2 and SU3 underlying high energy physics had roots in group theory, and basic ideas of Lie algebra in QM used group theory and I got some benefit from that exposure. But Abstract algebra contains stuff like Sylow theorems, division rings, principle ideal domains, ideals, categories, etc, that never made their appearance in any depth at all which was covered in the math departments.

Numerical Linear algebra will allow you to program effectively should you use the computer to analyze data in your research (almost a sure thing)

1. What is Numerical Linear Algebra or Modern Algebra?

Numerical Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on solving systems of linear equations using numerical methods. Modern Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

2. What are some applications of Numerical Linear Algebra or Modern Algebra?

Numerical Linear Algebra has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. Modern Algebra has applications in cryptography, coding theory, and quantum mechanics.

3. How are Numerical Linear Algebra and Modern Algebra related?

Numerical Linear Algebra relies heavily on the concepts and techniques from Modern Algebra. For example, the use of matrices and vector spaces in solving systems of linear equations is rooted in Modern Algebra. Many numerical algorithms also use concepts from abstract algebra, such as groups and fields.

4. What are some common methods used in Numerical Linear Algebra?

Some common methods used in Numerical Linear Algebra include Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, QR decomposition, and eigenvalue decomposition. These methods are used to solve systems of linear equations, find matrix inverses, and calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. How is Numerical Linear Algebra or Modern Algebra helpful in real-world problem-solving?

Numerical Linear Algebra and Modern Algebra provide powerful tools for solving complex real-world problems that involve large amounts of data and equations. These mathematical methods allow for efficient and accurate solutions to problems in various fields, making them essential for scientific and technological advancements.