How should I teach myself Linear Algebra?

In summary, the individual is preparing for a BSEE and has completed Calculus I, II, III, and Differential Equations. They have some familiarity with linear algebra from high school and a previous college course, but still struggle with concepts such as eigenvalues. They are considering three options for self-studying linear algebra over the next 6 months, including using a physical text, working through MIT OCW, and practicing with MATLAB. The expert recommends using the OCW and supplementing with extra problems from the text, as well as working on real-world problems with MATLAB.
kostoglotov
I am preparing myself for a BSEE starting next year. I have just finished Stewarts Calculus for Calc I,II,III and Diff Eqs up to solving 2nd order non-hom diff eqs by undet. coeffs, variation of parameters and power series.

In high school some 15 years ago I saw some very basic linear algebra in advanced math; matrix addition, multiplication, inverse, Gauss-Jordan Elimination and I kind of understand what determinants are.

About 7 years ago I took a Linear Algebra unit during my Chemistry degree, and understood very little. Saliently, I had no clue what all that Eigen-stuff was, and still only have a little bit of intuition about it from some scattered reading and discussion.

I have looked at three options for teaching myself Linear Algebra over the next 6 months

1) work through Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right - though I have read that this is a second course book meant for undergrad math majors or post-grad students.

2) The MIT OCW unit on Linear Algebra: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/

This uses Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang

3) work through a physical text Elementary Linear Algebra: Application Version by Anton and Rorres

The idea of using the physical text has some appeal to me. And this text seems quite comparable to MIT's Intro to Linear Algebra text from Strang.

What would your advice be?

edit: I am also quite familiar with Matlab.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to go through a physical text, why not use Strang's book?
I would recommend working through the OCW, and doing extra problems from the text. I think there are section of the book that are not covered in the course. You can do those as well.
At the same time, in your spare time, work large, real-world problems with MATLAB. This is what I wish I had done. For example, you can use eigenvector decomposition to do image compression. And then there is the ever-popular stock market predictor.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is the best way to approach learning Linear Algebra?

The best way to approach learning Linear Algebra is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This includes understanding fundamental concepts such as vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations. It is also important to practice solving problems and working through examples to solidify your understanding.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-teaching Linear Algebra?

The amount of time needed to self-teach Linear Algebra varies from person to person. However, it is generally recommended to dedicate at least 1-2 hours per day for a few weeks to fully grasp the concepts and applications of Linear Algebra. It is also important to take breaks and not overload yourself, as this can lead to burnout and hinder your learning progress.

3. Are there any online resources or textbooks you recommend for self-teaching Linear Algebra?

There are several online resources and textbooks available for self-teaching Linear Algebra. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Additionally, there are many free online courses and videos on platforms such as Coursera, Khan Academy, and YouTube that can also be helpful.

4. How can I make sure I am understanding the material correctly while self-teaching Linear Algebra?

One way to ensure understanding while self-teaching Linear Algebra is to regularly test yourself by solving practice problems and checking your work. You can also seek out online forums or study groups to discuss concepts and clarify any doubts. It is also beneficial to periodically review previous material to reinforce your understanding.

5. What are some real-world applications of Linear Algebra and how can I apply my self-taught knowledge?

Linear Algebra has many applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Some common applications include image processing, data compression, and machine learning. To apply your self-taught knowledge, you can seek out projects or problems in these areas and practice applying the concepts you have learned. You can also participate in online competitions or challenges to further enhance your skills.