Senior Project ideas and thesis help!

by daseulkorean
Tags: astronomy, senior project, thesis
daseulkorean
Aug30-11, 11:54 PM
P: 4
Hello I'm a senior at RHS in Hawaii and I need help in finding a senior project topic and thesis. I am extremely interested in physics and astronomy. Anything that has to do with the sky and beyond deeply interests me. However I do not know what to make a thesis out of those.

I am in AP physics and Calc AB right now with a little background in AP chem if that helps.

Any advices and comments would be helpful :) thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
Curl
Aug31-11, 12:29 AM
P: 751
Do something with Kepler's laws.

When I read "thesis" I thought you were talking about M.S. thesis.
I don't know what thesis means in highschool.
daseulkorean
Aug31-11, 12:55 AM
For senior project I have to create a thesis in which I can prove and apply. For example, if it was breakdancing and my thesis was that it strengthens one's body, I can do tests to prove that and ultimately apply it to myself. Something like that.

Kepler's law is very interesting but I wouldn't know how to make a thesis and to prove something like that..

Oriona
Aug31-11, 12:39 PM
P: 1

Senior Project ideas and thesis help!

I think you should research about the accidental chemical chains formed in universe and their implications on physicals' laws.

Good luck !
Konstantin
Aug31-11, 12:42 PM
P: 2
1. Why do we need larger telescopes? Because they can collect more light and eventually see farther. To prove that, you would need a photosensor and a multimeter, plus tubes of various dameters, representing a telescope tube.

2. Another idea: measuring distances to remote objects. Thesis: you can measure the distance to a star without traveling "there" by measuring parallax.

3. Make a sundial. It is not that simple as it sounds. Make it so that it would show correct time both in summer and in winter. Hint: note that sunrise/sunset points are closer on the horizon in winter than in summer, and also note sunrise/sunset times.

4. Direction of the Earth's magnetic field. Which way the lines go; that is, do they go from the North pole to the South pole or in the opposite direction? To find this out, you just need a magnet, a needle, and some cork. Magnetize the needle in such a way that you know where the North magnetic pole of the _needle_. Then make the needle float in water and orient itself along the magnetic lines. Now remember that the North of one magnet (needle) will orient towards South of the other (the Earth).

5. Is the Earth tilted? In what sense, and how to prove it? How obliquity and ellipticity interplay?... http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=208
lm_tech
Aug31-11, 12:44 PM
How about investigating the chemistry of the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan?

Very interesting stuff there.
Konstantin
Aug31-11, 12:49 PM
Quote Quote by lm_tech View Post
How about investigating the chemistry of the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Titan?

Very interesting stuff there.
How can one get a sample?
daseulkorean
Aug31-11, 09:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your ideas! They all sound good except most sounds like youre proving something that is definite already. As in it's too easy and simple. I am required to write 8 pages and have a mentor and many field hours.
I like oriona's idea though. Could you give me an example of a accidental chemical chain?
Bobbywhy
Aug31-11, 10:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,852
daseulkorean, welcome to Physics Forums! You said you are interested in Physics and Astronomy. Have you considered the resources in Astronomy nearby? There is a huge amount of real astronomy being done in your backyard! Have a look:

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/telescope_table.htm

You probably have neighbors and friends all around you who are involved with astronomy. Find them, talk to them, and use the resources nearby you.
daseulkorean
Aug31-11, 11:24 PM
I have but they don't have any good suggestions or ideas..

Register to reply