Deciding on my senior thesis project

In summary, a student is seeking a senior thesis project in the realm of GR and is having trouble coming up with ideas. One potential project is to numerically solve EFE for the solar system and compare it with observations. However, there is no GR supervisor available, so it would be largely independent work. The student has been advised to reproduce a published paper and is now looking for suggestions on feasible and enjoyable projects in GR.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
Hey all,
I'm trying to come up with a senior thesis project in the realm of GR. It doesn't have to be new, just new to me. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas (or knowing whether or not they would be good for this). One idea that I just came up with:
Numerically solve EFE for the solar system, or a part of it, maybe the inner planets and sun, then compare with observations. Does this sound like a good project to you? If not, do you have any suggestions? I'm not attached to this idea, just trying to be constructive.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you ask your potential supervisor? It is very advisable to choose a project in the interest of the supervisor, and they will also know more what has been done and what not, and what can be done within the scope of the project. That typically means you ask your supervisor what they suggest.

Yea I did. We don't really have anyone in the ways of GR, so it will be largely independent. However, the chair has told me that I could do it, should I find a suitable project. He told me essentially to find a paper published and reproduce it. So I suppose the question could be reworded to ask for papers published in GR that would be 1) feasible for an undergrad to reproduce (not necessarily easy, just feasible) and 2) enjoyable (I know it's subjective, but just not extremely droll).
Thanks for the response, by the way.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
We don't really have anyone in the ways of GR, so it will be largely independent.
Don't do that.
While it might be possible in terms of formal procedures, it is unlikely to have good results.

1. What should I consider when choosing a senior thesis project?

When deciding on your senior thesis project, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also think about the availability of resources and support from faculty members or research advisors.

2. How do I come up with a unique and original senior thesis topic?

One way to come up with a unique and original senior thesis topic is to explore current research and literature in your field of study. You can also discuss potential ideas with your professors or attend conferences and seminars to gain inspiration.

3. How do I manage my time and stay organized while working on my senior thesis project?

To effectively manage your time and stay organized, it is important to create a realistic timeline for your project and break it down into smaller, manageable tasks. Make sure to set aside dedicated time for research, writing, and revising. It can also be helpful to use a planner or project management tool.

4. What are the potential challenges I may face while working on my senior thesis project?

Some potential challenges you may face while working on your senior thesis project include managing your time effectively, finding and analyzing relevant data, and communicating your findings clearly. It is important to stay motivated and seek support from your peers and professors if needed.

5. How can I make my senior thesis project stand out and impress my professors?

To make your senior thesis project stand out, you can conduct thorough and innovative research, use a variety of reliable sources, and present your findings in a clear and organized manner. You can also discuss your project with your professors and incorporate their feedback to make your thesis even stronger.