Final year project/ dissertation ideas

In summary, the student is looking to investigate the dependence of galaxy properties on host halo mass and location within the halo. This will provide constraints on the halo occupation distribution (HOD) model.
Jadaav
Hello,

I'm currently on a BSc Physics course and I need some ideas for my final year project.

I'm mostly thinking about Climate and Astronomy or a mixture of both would suit me more.

Regards,
Jadaav.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jadaav said:
Hello,

I'm currently on a BSc Physics course and I need some ideas for my final year project.

I'm mostly thinking about Climate and Astronomy or a mixture of both would suit me more.

Regards,
Jadaav.
Could you please post more of your ideas? You must have many ideas and details, one would hope.

And if you combine Astronomy and Climate, would you be writing about the weather dynamics on other planets in our solar system?

I'm like thinking more down to Earth even though weather dynamics on other planets is not a bad idea at all. I might even consider it ! Although it would require lots of modeling and simulations.

I was thinking kinda like correlation between sun's activity and weather.

I want something that's going to be useful in the (near) future.

Regards,
Jadaav.

Likes Electrical
Jadaav said:
Hello,

Regards,
Jadaav.
Hi Jadaav, I have surfed University of Sussex and have found your desired details Herehttp://www.sussex.ac.uk/mps/internal/departments/physicsandastronomy/ug/studyingphysics/pa_projects it from the page:
Project title: Dependence of galaxy properties on halo mass
Description: It is believed that all galaxies live in dark matter halos. The Galaxy and Mass Assembly project (GAMA; http://www.gama-survey.org/) provides total mass estimates for galaxy groups from galaxy dynamics. This will allow you to investigate the dependence of galaxy properties, such as stellar mass, star formation rate, incidence of AGN activity, on host halo mass and location within the halo, and thus provide constraints on the halo occupation distribution (HOD) model.

Likes Jadaav

1. What should I consider when choosing a final year project/dissertation topic?

When choosing a final year project/dissertation topic, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and the scope of the project. You should also consider the availability of resources, such as data, equipment, and mentorship. Additionally, think about the relevance and potential impact of your project in your field of study.

2. How can I come up with unique and original ideas for my final year project/dissertation?

To come up with unique and original ideas for your final year project/dissertation, you can start by reading research papers and literature in your field of study. This will help you identify current gaps and areas that need further exploration. You can also brainstorm with your peers and seek guidance from your professors.

3. Can I work on a project outside of my major for my final year project/dissertation?

Yes, you can work on a project outside of your major for your final year project/dissertation. However, it is important to consult with your professors and ensure that the project aligns with the learning outcomes and requirements of your program. You may also need to seek additional support and resources from other departments or experts.

4. How do I ensure the success of my final year project/dissertation?

To ensure the success of your final year project/dissertation, it is crucial to start early and plan your project timeline carefully. Regular communication with your supervisor and seeking feedback throughout the process is also important. Additionally, having a clear research question, methodology, and timeline can help you stay on track and complete your project successfully.

5. Can I use data and findings from my final year project/dissertation in future research or publications?

Yes, you can use data and findings from your final year project/dissertation in future research or publications, as long as you properly cite and acknowledge the source. This can also be a great way to build on your project and contribute to your field of study. However, it is important to seek permission from your supervisor and adhere to any ethical considerations related to your research.