Register to reply

Block sliding down an incline then collides with another block question.

by lillybeans
Tags: block, collides, incline, sliding
Share this thread:
lillybeans
Nov4-11, 03:30 PM
P: 68
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the diagram below, a block of mass M=17 kg slides down a frictionless inclined plane and collides elastically with another block of mass m=4 kg. If the mass at the top of the wedge is initially at a height of 6 m above the horizontal plane, what is the velocity of m after the collision?

2. Relevant equations

conservation of energy formula, conservation of momentum formula. shown below in my attempt at the solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the momentum formula to find V2f

V2f=(2m1/(m1+m2))V1i+(m2-m1)/(m1+m2)V2i

Since V2i of the smaller mass is zero, i'm only left with the first part, which is.

V2f=(2m1/(m1+m2)V1i

substituting the masses in I get V2f=34/21 V1i

To solve for V1i, I used mgh=1/2mv^2. (m=17kg, g=9.8, h=6m) and I got V1i=10.84m/s.

Then substituting the value i got back into the previous equation, V2f=34/21 * 10.84 = 17.56 m/s. This answer is obviously shown by the computer to be NOT correct. I don't understand where I went wrong, because I even used the conservation of kinetic energy to check that before and after the kinetic energy is the same! Please help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
lillybeans
Nov4-11, 03:53 PM
P: 68
Quote Quote by lillybeans View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the diagram below, a block of mass M=17 kg slides down a frictionless inclined plane and collides elastically with another block of mass m=4 kg. If the mass at the top of the wedge is initially at a height of 6 m above the horizontal plane, what is the velocity of m after the collision?

2. Relevant equations

conservation of energy formula, conservation of momentum formula. shown below in my attempt at the solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the momentum formula to find V2f

V2f=(2m1/(m1+m2))V1i+(m2-m1)/(m1+m2)V2i

Since V2i of the smaller mass is zero, i'm only left with the first part, which is.

V2f=(2m1/(m1+m2)V1i

substituting the masses in I get V2f=34/21 V1i

To solve for V1i, I used mgh=1/2mv^2. (m=17kg, g=9.8, h=6m) and I got V1i=10.84m/s.

Then substituting the value i got back into the previous equation, V2f=34/21 * 10.84 = 17.56 m/s. This answer is obviously shown by the computer to be NOT correct. I don't understand where I went wrong, because I even used the conservation of kinetic energy to check that before and after the kinetic energy is the same! Please help!

Nevermind I got it. the right answer is 17.57 m/s, which is extremely close to what i got but the computer program did not approve my first answer for reasons god knows why.
Hyperfluxe
Nov8-11, 06:07 PM
P: 35
CAPA sucks eh...haha. I attempted the problem the same way too and got an incorrect answer, my digits were slightly off.

Register to reply