Air-Track Carts & Spring (Energy)

In summary, the two carts on an air track, with a 100g cart behind a 400g cart, are initially moving at a speed of 2.0 m/s to the right. The spring between them has a spring constant of 140 N/m and is compressed 4.1 cm. After passing a flame that burns through the string holding them together, the final speed of the 100g cart is 0.628 m/s. This is calculated using the conservation of energy and momentum equations. Some confusion may arise from the quadratic equation, as there are two solutions for the final speed of the 100g cart. However, the correct solution is 0.628 m/s
sunnnystrong

Homework Statement

The air-track carts in the figure(Figure 1) are sliding to the right at 2.0 m/s. The spring between them has a spring constant of 140 N/m and is compressed 4.1 cm. The carts slide past a flame that burns through the string holding them together.

What is the final speed of 100-g cart?* I don't actually have a picture of this problem however it is a picture of two carts on an air track separated by a spring.
the left cart has a mass of 100g & the right cart has a mass of 400g.

Homework Equations

Potential Energy of Spring = .5*k*x^2

Conservation of Energy:
.5(m1)(v1i)^2 + .5(m2)(v2i)^2 + .5*k*x^2 = .5(m1)(v1f)^2 + .5(m2)(v2f)^2

Conservation of Momentum:
(m1)(v1i) + (m2)(v2i) = (m1)(v1f) + (m2)(v2f)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
m1 = 0.1kg
v1i = v2i = 2m/s
m2 = 0.4 kg
v2f = ?
v1f = ?
x = 0.041 m

First use the conservation of energy:
.5(m1)(v1i)^2 + .5(m2)(v2i)^2 + .5*k*x^2 = .5(m1)(v1f)^2 + .5(m2)(v2f)^2
1.11767 = .05(v1f)^2 + .2(v2f)^2
Divide by .05
I got this
22.35 = (v1f)^2 + 4(v2f)^2

Next use the conservation of momentum:
(m1)(v1i) + (m2)(v2i) = (m1)(v1f) + (m2)(v2f)
1 = .1(v1f) + .4 (v2f)
Divide by .1
10 = v1f + 4(v2f)
I got this
10-4(v2f) = v1f

Next square v1f to plug into energy equation
(v1f)^2 = 16(v2f)^2 - 80(v2f) + 100

Last step :
22.35 = (v1f)^2 + 4(v2f)^2

22.35 = 16(v2f)^2 - 80(v2f) + 100 + 4(v2f)^2
22.35 = 20(v2f)^2 - 80(v2f) + 100
Divide by 10
2.235 = 2(v2f)^2 - 8(v2f) + 10
0 = 2(v2f)^2 - 8(v2f) + 7.765
Solve for v2f and i got 1.65 m/s.

Plug that into this
10-4(v2f) = v1f
v1f = 3.4 m/s which is incorrect but i don't why?

The answer is 0.628 m/s and I'd like to understand how to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem. Let's say the 2 carts are moving east at 2 m/s. When the string is burned, does the spring push one of the carts toward the north and one toward the south? Or does the spring push one of the carts toward the east and one toward the west?

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem. Let's say the 2 carts are moving east at 2 m/s. When the string is burned, does the spring push one of the carts toward the north and one toward the south? Or does the spring push one of the carts toward the east and one toward the west?

Oh okay that's probably where my error is... there is a string holding the two carts together where the compressed spring is in the middle. once it passes the flame on the air track the spring will exert a force on the two carts.

TomHart said:

But i still am entirely unsure of how i would use that information to solve this problem haha

Both carts are moving in the x direction initially. After the spring is released, are they both still moving only in the x direction, or does the spring cause them to angle off - one towards the north and one towards the south?

Edit: I'm trying to understand where the spring is positioned between the carts. Is it between their sides, or are the cars end-to-end and the spring is touching one car's front bumper and the other car's rear bumper?

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
Both carts are moving in the x direction initially. After the spring is released, are they both still moving only in the x direction, or does the spring cause them to angle off - one towards the north and one towards the south?

Edit: I'm trying to understand where the spring is positioned between the carts. Is it between their sides, or are the cars end-to-end and the spring is touching one car's front bumper and the other car's rear bumper?
http://tinypic.com/r/124koqc/9

Here is a little sketch

TomHart said:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 691
That's what I figured. Otherwise the answer could not have been 0.628 m/s. Which car is in front the heavy one or light one?

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
That's what I figured. Otherwise the answer could not have been 0.628 m/s. Which car is in front the heavy one or light one?
The lighter one.

Jk sorry! the heavier one is in the front.

TomHart said:

sorry ah my brain is fried. the 100 g cart is behind the 400 g cart

sunnnystrong said:
Solve for v2f and i got 1.65 m/s.
That's what I got too!
But, when you solve a quadratic there are two solutions. It's the other one that is the right answer.

Edit: It turns out that one of the solutions is for the heavy cart in front and one for the heavy cart in back. At least I think that's the case. I didn't take time to verify it.

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
That's what I got too!
But, when you solve a quadratic there are two solutions. It's the other one that is the right answer.

Edit: It turns out that one of the solutions is for the heavy cart in front and one for the heavy cart in back. At least I think that's the case. I didn't take time to verify it.
oh interesting so v2f = 2.34m/s?
Than oh yeah you get 0.628 m/s!
cool haha thank you again

How do you know which solution it is? to the quadratic

well that actually makes sense that the velocity would be larger than two as the spring will cause it to accelerate when the string burns.

sunnnystrong said:
How do you know which solution it is? to the quadratic
The velocity for the front car HAS TO increase and the velocity of the rear car HAS TO decrease. You defined Vf1 as the 100 g car in the back, so you know VF1 will have end up being less than 2.0 m/s.

Likes sunnnystrong
TomHart said:
The velocity for the front car HAS TO increase and the velocity of the rear car HAS TO decrease. You defined Vf1 as the 100 g car in the back, so you know VF1 will have end up being less than 2.0 m/s.

thanks for your help haha that was a silly mistake

Likes TomHart
sunnnystrong said:
thanks for your help haha that was a silly mistake
It often happens that the equations do not encode all the information, so other solutions may appear. In the present case, the conservation laws produce the same equations regardless of the order of the carts.

Likes sunnnystrong
haruspex said:
It often happens that the equations do not encode all the information, so other solutions may appear. In the present case, the conservation laws produce the same equations regardless of the order of the carts.

interesting thank you haha

What is an air-track cart?

An air-track cart is a small, low-friction vehicle that moves along a long, narrow track with the help of compressed air. They are commonly used in physics experiments to study motion and energy.

How does an air-track cart work?

An air-track cart works by using compressed air to create a cushion of air between the cart and the track, reducing friction and allowing the cart to move smoothly and easily along the track. The cart is powered by a small motor or fan that pushes the air out the back of the cart, propelling it forward.

What is the purpose of using a spring in an air-track cart?

The spring in an air-track cart is used to store potential energy, which can then be converted into kinetic energy as the cart moves along the track. This allows for the study of energy conservation and the relationship between potential and kinetic energy.

How does the spring affect the motion of the air-track cart?

The spring affects the motion of the air-track cart by providing a force that opposes the motion of the cart. As the cart moves along the track, the spring compresses, storing potential energy. This energy is then released, pushing the cart back in the opposite direction.

What factors affect the motion and energy of an air-track cart?

Some factors that can affect the motion and energy of an air-track cart include the amount of compressed air used, the weight of the cart, the surface of the track, the angle of the track, and the strength and placement of the spring. Other external forces such as friction and air resistance may also play a role in the motion and energy of the cart.