Two blocks slide on an inclined plane

In summary, under what condition will the blocks remain in contact as they slide down an incline? Both blocks have mass and coefficient of kinetic friction, but m1 has a higher velocity. If the two blocks are considered as a single block, then the acceleration would be the same for both.
hellovenus

Homework Statement

Two blocks slide on an incline of angle \theta . Block 1 has mass m1 and coefficient of kinetic friction μ1 with the surface, block 2 has mass m2 and coefficient of kinetic friction μ2. The gravitational acceleration is g.

In terms of these parameters, under what condition will the blocks remain in contact as they slide?

Homework Equations

ΣFm1 = m1gsinΘ- m1g*μ1 = m1a
ΣFm2 = m2gsinΘ- m2g*μ2 = m2a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing that when the accelerations are both equal to zero, the blocks remain in contact? I am not sure under what conditions the blocks remain in contact with each other.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
hellovenus said:
under what condition will the blocks remain in contact
I assume there was a diagram showing them initially in contact, one above the other on the plane. Is that right? Which was higher?
What determines which would slide faster?

haruspex said:
I assume there was a diagram showing them initially in contact, one above the other on the plane. Is that right? Which was higher?
What determines which would slide faster?
Screen_Shot_2017_11_19_at_4_36_43_PM.png

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2017_11_19_at_4_36_43_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2017_11_19_at_4_36_43_PM.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 3,771
haruspex said:
Ok, so what about the answer to my last question?

I am not given the numerical values for any of the variables, and the question asks that under what conditions the blocks remain in contact with each other. Therefore I assume that m2 must slide faster than m1. m2 is higher according to the picture.

hellovenus said:
I am not given the numerical values
Yes, I understand that.
hellovenus said:
assume that m2 must slide faster than m1.
Did you mean that? How can it overtake the lower block?

haruspex said:
Yes, I understand that.

Did you mean that? How can it overtake the lower block?
I mean in order for the two blocks to stay in contact, m2 must have a higher or equal velocity compared to m1. If not, they would not be in contact? Right? If m2 has a "greater" velocity, it would mean that m1 and m2 would slide together? If that makes any sense...

hellovenus said:
m2 must have a higher or equal velocity
Ok, you mean that it would have higher or equal velocity if they were side by side instead, right?
hellovenus said:
If m2 has a "greater" velocity, it would mean that m1 and m2 would slide together?
Yes, if m2 would otherwise have had the greater velocity they will slide together.
So do you wish to revise your answer to the question?

Last edited:
I'm also trying to figure this problem out. I think have it, but am unsure of my answer.
For the blocks to stay in contact as they slide down, F1≤F2
Block m1:
Fnetx1 = FNx-Ffx
Ff = μ1FN
FN = Fgcosθ = m1gcosθ
plugging into Fnet & Ff
Fnetx1 = m1gsinθ-μ1m1cosθ

Block m2:
Same equations as block m1 substituting in m2 mass and coefficient of friction μ2.

Since
F1 ≤ F2
then
Fnetx1 = m1gsinθ-μ1m1cosθ ≤ Fnetx2 = m2gsinθ-μ2m2cosθ
m1g(sinθ-μ1cosθ) ≤ m2g(sinθ-μ2cosθ)
therefore:

[m1g(sinθ-μ1cosθ)]/[m2g(sinθ-μ2cosθ)] ≤ 1

under this condition, the two blocks will remain in contact as they slide down the incline.

Last edited:
Likes hellovenus
chuuke said:
For the blocks to stay in contact as they slide down, F1≤F2
How do you deduce that?

haruspex said:
How do you deduce that?

Wouldn't the acceleration of the m2 block have to be larger to push down the m1 block?

chuuke said:
Wouldn't the acceleration of the m2 block have to be larger to push down the m1 block?
Yes, but you wrote that the force is larger.

haruspex said:
Yes, but you wrote that the force is larger.
If we consider two block as a single block because in question it is given they remain in contact then acceleration would be same for both the block.

Abhishek kumar said:
If we consider two block as a single block because in question it is given they remain in contact then acceleration would be same for both the block.
Please see post #8. hellovenus seems to be happier thinking in terms of what the blocks would have done were they not in contact. Looks like chuuke also inclines to that way of thinking.

Last edited:

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle to the ground. It is commonly used to make it easier to move objects up or down a slope.

2. How do two blocks slide on an inclined plane?

Two blocks sliding on an inclined plane means that there are two objects placed on an inclined plane and they are moving down the slope due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the sliding of blocks on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect the sliding of blocks on an inclined plane include the angle of the incline, the mass of the blocks, and the force of friction between the blocks and the surface of the incline.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on an inclined plane?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object that is already in motion.

5. How is the acceleration of the blocks calculated on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of the blocks on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = g sinθ, where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and "θ" is the angle of the incline.