Register to reply

Concepts of Eigenvectors/values

by DrummingAtom
Tags: concepts
Share this thread:
DrummingAtom
Nov11-11, 11:17 PM
P: 661
Just a small rant to start. My DE/LA class is absolute nonsense. I am really wishing that I taken each class separate because this class is making me and many others lose the big picture. For instance, this class doesn't teach linear transformations and diagonalization both of which I keep seeing anytime I look up stuff about eigens. I've managed to learn some of these on my own but I can't spend too much time on that stuff for now.

Anyway, after I find the eigenvalues am I allowed to do any switch rows to find the eigenvectors? Or do I have to account for the switching of a row in the eigenvector? Most of the matrices that are produced from plugging in the eigenvalues have some strange configurations, usually they have a ton of zeros and not what I'm used to. Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Deveno
Nov12-11, 02:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
i'm not sure what you mean by "switching the rows".

what i WILL say, is that if a matrix A models a set of linear equations, changing the order of the rows amounts to changing the order that the equations are written in, and does not change the solution space.
HallsofIvy
Nov12-11, 07:47 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,569
Once you have an eigenvalue, [itex]\lambda[/itex], for linear transformation, A, you find the eigenvectors by solving the equation [itex]Ax= \lambda x[/itex] for x. IF you choose to use "row-reduction" to solve that equation, yes, you can use any row operations you wish to solve it.

DrummingAtom
Nov12-11, 10:32 PM
P: 661
Concepts of Eigenvectors/values

Quote Quote by Deveno View Post
i'm not sure what you mean by "switching the rows".

what i WILL say, is that if a matrix A models a set of linear equations, changing the order of the rows amounts to changing the order that the equations are written in, and does not change the solution space.
Yeah that's I mean about switching the rows. That clears up that question.

Now, another question is why does every eigenvector I'm trying to find always seem to have an entire row of zeros? Is it because the eigenvector is capable of being "stretched" on it's line?

Register to reply