Eigenvalues of AX - XA: Finding Eigenvectors for a Real 2x2 Symmetric Matrix

• Thread starter alchemik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, this person is trying to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 4 by 4 matrix, but is having difficulty because the matrix is diagonalizable.
alchemik
Hi all,

Here is this problem that I have been at for some time now: find eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the following linear mapping on a vector space of real 2 by 2 matrices:

[tex]L(X) = AX - XA[/tex], where A is 2 by 2 symmetric matrix that is not a scalar multiple of identity.

It is clear that 0 is one eigenvalue of the above with an eigenspace consisting of all matrices X that commute with A, I do not know however what its algebraic multiplicity would be, except that it has to be less than 4. To find the other eigenvalues I looked at

[tex]AX - XA = \lambda X [/tex]

a column at a time to obtain a 4 by 4 system.

[tex]Ax_{i} - \sum^{2}_{j = 1}a_{ji}x_{i} = \lambda x_{i} [/tex]

for i = 1, 2, with j indexing the rows of A.

This approach requires me to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 4 by 4 matrix, which may get messy if you have to do it by hand. Do you guys know any other, more efficient way of approaching this problem? I have attempted to use the fact that A can be orthogonally diagonalized in hopes of simplifying the above but with no success.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diagonalize A: let A = P-1DP, where D = diag(k1, k2). Given any matrix X, write
[tex]X = P^{-1} \begin{pmatrix}a&b\\c&d\end{pmatrix}P.[/tex]
You can compute that
[tex]L(X) = P^{-1} \begin{pmatrix}0&(k_1-k_2)b\\(k_2-k_1)c&0\end{pmatrix}P.[/tex]
You can now directly read off the eigenvalues of L: 0, 0, k1 - k2, and k2 - k1. The eigenvectors are also obvious.

The same process applies to arbitrary diagonalizable matrices. If A is a n × n diagonalizable matrix and L(X) = AX - XA, and A has eigenvalues k1, ..., kn, then the eigenvalues of L are ki - kj, for each pair of i, j from 1, ..., n.

This is indeed a lot more tractable, thanks a lot adriank!

1. What are eigenvalues of AX - XA?

The eigenvalues of AX - XA are the values that satisfy the equation (AX - XA)v = λv, where v is a non-zero vector and λ is a scalar. In other words, they are the values for which the matrix (AX - XA) has a non-trivial null space.

2. Why are eigenvalues of AX - XA important?

Eigenvalues of AX - XA are important because they can provide insight into the behavior and properties of a matrix. They are used in various applications such as in solving differential equations, in data compression techniques, and in understanding the stability of a system.

3. How do you calculate eigenvalues of AX - XA?

The eigenvalues of AX - XA can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix (AX - XA). This polynomial is given by det(AX - XA - λI), where I is the identity matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. The resulting eigenvalues can then be solved for using various methods, such as the quadratic formula or by using matrix operations.

4. Can the eigenvalues of AX - XA be complex numbers?

Yes, the eigenvalues of AX - XA can be complex numbers. This is because the characteristic polynomial can have complex roots, and therefore the eigenvalues can also be complex. In fact, even if the matrix (AX - XA) is real, its eigenvalues can still be complex.

5. How do eigenvalues of AX - XA relate to the diagonalizability of a matrix?

Eigenvalues of AX - XA play a crucial role in determining the diagonalizability of a matrix. A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors. The eigenvalues of AX - XA determine whether a matrix is diagonalizable, as they can be used to find the eigenvectors and check for linear independence.