Mechanics Ornament (Christmas)

In summary, a student is seeking advice on a handmade ornament for their passionate Physics teacher who loves Christmas. The student wants to make it related to Mechanics and has been suggested to make a mobile based on Newton's Corollary II or a lever with an Archimedes figure and a globe. They plan to update with pictures of their progress.
Aar0n
Hello, PF.

I was hoping I'd be able to get your help with something. I have an incredible teacher this year in my Physics class, and I'd like to cheesily say thanks to her. She's vehement about the subject, and the only teacher I've ever had that's so. She's probably the only teacher that's ever made me care about a class. lol

She's HUGE on Christmas and has already gone all-out decorating her room (and especially her house; we've seen some ridiculous pictures of it). I plan on making a handmade ornament as that cheesy thanks and something she will probably keep forever (she's like that). Of course, I'd like to make it related to Mechanics, seeing as that's the subject in which the class is taught. Any ideas? (think light; it's an ornament after all)

Thanks for the thoughts!

Edit: Oh, and I'll update this with pictures/progress (or at least try to do so lolol).

Physics news on Phys.org
That's so thoughtful of you! So what was your favorite part of mechanics?

You might make her a sort of mobile based on the figure from Newton's Corollary II in the Principia.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_M...losophy_(1729)/Axioms,_or_Laws_of_Motion#Cor2

This could be small enough to hang on a Christmas tree, and you could paint it to look pretty while keeping the mechanics intact. Labeling all the points in old fashioned script would make it recognizable as a geometric figure. The two pendulums could be small conventional tree ornaments (you'd prolly have to figure a way to make one a bit heavier so they'd balance, like pour a little sand inside). It would hang from point O, the fulcrum.

Idea #2 (More accessible)

Everyone's heard the Archimedes quote: "Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I can move the earth."

So the ornament would be a lever hung at the fulcrum with an Archimedes figure hanging from one side and a little globe being lifted at the other.

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you have such an enthusiastic and inspiring teacher in your Physics class. It's always important to show appreciation for those who have a positive impact on our education.

I would suggest incorporating some key concepts from Mechanics into your ornament design. For example, you could create a simple pulley system with a small weight hanging from it, representing the principles of force and motion. Another idea could be to create a miniature version of a Newton's cradle, demonstrating the conservation of energy and momentum.

You could also incorporate some festive elements, such as using red and green colors for the ornament or adding a small Christmas tree or snowflake design. And don't forget to include a cheesy yet heartfelt message to your teacher on the ornament itself.

I'm sure your teacher will appreciate the effort and thought put into the ornament, and it will serve as a reminder of the impact she has on her students. Best of luck with your creation!

1. What is a mechanics ornament?

A mechanics ornament is a holiday decoration that features a design or image related to mechanics, such as tools, gears, or machines. It is often made from materials like metal, wood, or plastic.

2. How is a mechanics ornament typically used during Christmas?

A mechanics ornament is typically hung on a Christmas tree or used as a decoration around the house during the holiday season. It can also be given as a gift to someone who enjoys mechanics or works in the field.

3. Can mechanics ornaments be personalized?

Yes, mechanics ornaments can be personalized with names, dates, or special messages to make them more meaningful. They can also be customized with specific colors or designs to match a person's interests or hobbies.

4. Are mechanics ornaments durable?

Mechanics ornaments are typically durable as they are made from sturdy materials. However, it is important to handle them with care to avoid any damage or breakage. Some ornaments may also be more delicate, so it is best to check the product description before purchasing.

5. What makes mechanics ornaments a popular choice for Christmas decorations?

Mechanics ornaments are a popular choice for Christmas decorations because they offer a unique and creative twist on traditional holiday decorations. They are also a great way to showcase one's love for mechanics and add a personal touch to the holiday season.